[rec.games.misc] pd:<msdos.games> on simtel20

ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett Person) (03/26/89)

What happened to the games directory on simtel30?
I went to ftp nethack today and cant find the directory is no longer there.
Was it removed?

just curious
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

srb@beta.lanl.gov ( Steve Berger ) (03/29/89)

In article <2466@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett Person) writes:

>What happened to the games directory on simtel30?
>I went to ftp nethack today and cant find the directory is no longer there.
>Was it removed?

I do believe they have removed all the games from simtel20.

Not sure the reasoning behind it.

Could be they got flack for having games on a govt. machine, afterall

it is  wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

They have tons of stuff and they may have been running out of space
too.  SO they may have tried to streamline what they carry.

Only my opinions.  I don't know the real answer, but I do know that
all the games are gone, both DOS and UNIX games.

Steve

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (03/29/89)

On the same note, are there any repositories of games available on the
net?  I sure would like to know if there is.

						Ron

| "This whole right brain, left brain thing is just a plot on the part of the  |
|  humanities depart. to excuse their never having learned any science"        |
|  Roger Dell, Prof. of Mathematics                                            |
|                                       Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu    |

rogers@falcon.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (03/29/89)

In article <2466@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncperson@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brett Person) writes:

>What happened to the games directory on simtel30?
>I went to ftp nethack today and cant find the directory is no longer there.
>Was it removed?

I wrote a letter to w8sdz@simtel20.army.mil  (or something close to that)
and the response I got was:
A) they just got a new administrator/boss/doorknob that said the games
have to go.
B) lots of the same games are available in the pd1:<pc-blue> directorys.
  ( they are spread out through many volumes. you have to find them.)

The game I was interested in wasn't one of the big ones like nethack.
I am not sure if nethack in particular there somewhere.

there are other machines out there with games on them.
if you ftp to uunet.uu.net you can get the source to nethack,omega,moria...
But then you get to compile it on your machine.
I still can't get nethack to compile right under MSC C5.1, when
it trys to link I get a 'bigger than 64k DATA segment' That I don't
know how to cure.

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
           also try this new address -> nic.MR.net!srcsip!rogers

daybell@sal65.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) (03/31/89)

If you want Nethack, Umoria, Larn, Omega, or any of a
number of other games, they exist via FTP at....

		uunet.uu.net

These fine fellows all reside in the comp.sources.games directory.
good luck
Donald "Dice Freak" Daybell      daybell@aludra.usc.edu

"I'm not really here, I'm just a pigment of your imagination"