[rec.games.misc] Patton Vs. Rommel Question

goodrum@unccvax.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (08/03/89)

	I recently acquired the game "Patton Vs. Rommel" for my Macintosh Plus
and am having a rather frustrating problem with it. The instructions say to
play the game I should put the game disk in a floppy drive and boot my Mac.
	Now as far as they go, these instructions are correct. But I have not
been able to find a way to run the game at any time other than boot time. If
I click open the game program after I've booted, I get a lot of garbage on the
screen, lose my mouse cursor, and have to shut the machine down.
	It seems like I shouldn't have to reboot my machine everytime I want to play a game. Any info anyone has about this game in general and my problem in
particular would be most greatly appreciated.

		Cloyd Goodrum III

--
Cloyd Goodrum III
UNCC Computer Science Department

randel@farcomp.UUCP (Randel Reiss) (08/09/89)

In article <1579@unccvax.UUCP> goodrum@unccvax.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:

>	I recently acquired the game "Patton Vs. Rommel" for my Macintosh Plus
>and am having a rather frustrating problem with it. The instructions say to
>play the game I should put the game disk in a floppy drive and boot my Mac.
>	Now as far as they go, these instructions are correct. But I have not
>been able to find a way to run the game at any time other than boot time. If
>I click open the game program after I've booted, I get a lot of garbage on the
>screen, lose my mouse cursor, and have to shut the machine down.
>	It seems like I shouldn't have to reboot my machine everytime I want to play a game. Any info anyone has about this game in general and my problem in
>particular would be most greatly appreciated.
>

>		Cloyd Goodrum III
>
>--
>Cloyd Goodrum III
>UNCC Computer Science Department
>Charlotte, N.C.
>unccvax!goodrum@mcnc.org

from my brother, Russel Reiss at Electronic Arts:

   The early copy protection used by Electronic Arts required that the game
be booted directly from it's own disk.  The operating system included on the
disk was part of the copy protection.  If you booted from another system,
the program would simply not load.

   Also, because of the age of programs like Patton vs. Rommel, you must
remember how times have changed over the years.  Hard disks were expensive
and not often used by the younger consumers expected to play the games.
Producers of the game in those days simply did not consider the hard disk as
one of the optional ways of playing a game like Patton vs. Rommel.  As hard
disks became more of an issue, other copy protection schemes were thought
up, such as, key disk protection, code wheels and manual copy protection.
Patton vs. Rommel, however, cannot be changed since contracts are long closed
and it would require the rewritting of a program which is already considered
a "Classic" (sold at a reduced price).

                                 Russel M. Reiss
                                 Technical Support
                                 Electronic Arts
                                 (415) 572-2787
                                 CIS: 76004,237
                                 via Internet: 76004.237@CompuServe.COM

--
|	well!farcomp!randel@apple.com			| If you can't	|
|	{apple,pacbell}!well!farcomp!randel		| look lively...|