[rec.games.misc] Theldrow -- rings

evett@drinkme.mimsy (Matt Evett) (08/08/89)

So far, all the rings I have found in the dungeon seem to
be cursed.  (This is about 6 rings.)  I put them on, but then
clicking on the be-ringed hand icon does not remove them.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug.  Has anyone successfully
removed a ring after putting it on?

Mild spoilers about ring types follow....

So far I have found only rings of "battle" and "defense".  If, because
I cannot remove them, should I believe that they are in fact doing me more
harm than good?  (i.e., a "negative bonus" for defense, etc.)?

After wearing one of the battle rings for a while it eventually
"crumbled into dust".  Any idea what is going on?

Also, so far I have received absolutely NO information from the Barkeep.
Does he require absolutely astronomical bribes, or is he just plain
ignorant?  (I've gone up to 50gps, plus 5 20gp bribes.)

Theldrow is interesting, but still seems fairly rough around the
edges.  I look forward to when it will be a finished product.

Thanks for any help...

	--Matt

--
		Matt Evett
		Dept.Comp.Sci., University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland.

cjp@Apple.COM (Chris Plummer) (08/09/89)

In article <EVETT.89Aug7154110@drinkme.mimsy> evett@drinkme.mimsy (Matt Evett) writes:

>So far, all the rings I have found in the dungeon seem to
>be cursed.  (This is about 6 rings.)  I put them on, but then
>clicking on the be-ringed hand icon does not remove them.
>I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug.  Has anyone successfully
>removed a ring after putting it on?

I've run into the same problem.  I think it's a bug because Remove Curse
tells me I'm not wearing any cursed rings.

Spoilers follow...

>So far I have found only rings of "battle" and "defense".  If, because
>I cannot remove them, should I believe that they are in fact doing me more
>harm than good?  (i.e., a "negative bonus" for defense, etc.)?

I've only found rings of battle.  You can get 1300 gp for them at
Rings 'n Things.

>After wearing one of the battle rings for a while it eventually
>"crumbled into dust".  Any idea what is going on?

Yeah, this is kind of annoying. I've learned to just hold on to them
until I really need them.

>Also, so far I have received absolutely NO information from the Barkeep.
>Does he require absolutely astronomical bribes, or is he just plain
>ignorant?  (I've gone up to 50gps, plus 5 20gp bribes.)

I've gotten *lots* of info from the barkeep and it only took a few
gps.  Try asking him about "hermit", "bell", "book", etc.  Speaking
of the hermit, has anyone found him.  The barkeep says he lives in
the forest east of town by the river but I haven't been able to find
him.  The hermit in just like the barkeep in that he takes bribes and
gives you info so if you want to talk to the hermit and can't find
him then just simply switch the SAGE resources for the hermit and the
barkeep and go into the bar.  The barkeep will then talk like the
hermit.

>Theldrow is interesting, but still seems fairly rough around the
>edges.  I look forward to when it will be a finished product.
>
>Thanks for any help...
>
>	--Matt

Chris Plummer
cjp@apple.com

jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway CMP RA) (08/10/89)

In article <33840@apple.Apple.COM> cjp@Apple.COM (Chris Plummer) writes:
>In article <EVETT.89Aug7154110@drinkme.mimsy> evett@drinkme.mimsy (Matt Evett) writes:
>>
>>So far, all the rings I have found in the dungeon seem to
>>be cursed.  (This is about 6 rings.)  I put them on, but then
>>clicking on the be-ringed hand icon does not remove them.
>>I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug.  Has anyone successfully
>>removed a ring after putting it on?

As far as I can remember (I finished Theldrow ages ago, nyah, nyah :-))
you have to drag the ring from your hand to some empty spot in your backpack.
At any rate, I had no trouble taking rings off, I think this is how I did it.

>Spoilers follow...

Ditto...

>>After wearing one of the battle rings for a while it eventually
>>"crumbled into dust".  Any idea what is going on?

It just wears out.  They dont make rings like they used to...

>Speaking
>of the hermit, has anyone found him.  The barkeep says he lives in
>the forest east of town by the river but I haven't been able to find
>him.

I've found him.  Sure you want me to tell you how?

Ok, but just a hint...not all paths through the woods are visible.  Try
walking through the trees.

--
Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk		Janet:  kennaway@uk.ac.uea.sys