[rec.games.misc] Simple Populous question

samuel@kvasir.cs.cornell.edu (Samuel M. Weber) (12/09/89)

In article <[257f4c08:2343.3]comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> akcs.dfrancis@tronsbox.UUCP (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

>     I agree that Populous is not as great as it's cracked up to be.  I lost
>interest after I noticed the computer cheating.  I might regain interest if

Are you sure the computer was cheating?  I thought so too, until I found
that I was able to do the same things.  It seems that there are some
amiguities in the rules, and some exceptions.

For example, I found that even when you can only build on towns, you can
still build when only a knight is on-screen.  The computer seems to do this
a lot.  Also, once the computer flooded, and my leader was left to drown
with no settlements nearby.  However, even though I could only build on
towns, I was able to rescue my leader!  Apparently in desparate circumstances
the rules are relaxed.  So, not only the computer can do these things.

   -- Sam Weber                   "I never think of money,
                                   I think of milk and honey,
   samuel@cs.cornell.edu           Grinnin' like a cheshire cat!"
                                              --The Muppet Movie

me@karl.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) (12/12/89)

In article <35005@cornell.UUCP> samuel@kvasir.cs.cornell.edu (Samuel M. Weber) writes:

   For example, I found that even when you can only build on towns, you can
   still build when only a knight is on-screen.  The computer seems to do this
   a lot.  Also, once the computer flooded, and my leader was left to drown
   with no settlements nearby.  However, even though I could only build on
   towns, I was able to rescue my leader!  Apparently in desparate circumstances
   the rules are relaxed.  So, not only the computer can do these things.

More exactly, you always can built one level of land, if at least one of your
guys is around. For instance, if you want to send your leader to the com-
puter's towns across the water, go ahead.
You just have to place the magnet in his land, and keep on building land
in front of your leader's feet.

But I found out something, the computer can do, and I can't.
He seems to be able to remove rocks from volcanos without creating a
spot of water. Has anybody found out under wich circumstances one can do that?

Michael
--
Michael (X) Elbel - me@dude.PCS.COM for the World, me@dude.PCS.DE for Europe

w-stephm@microsoft.UUCP (Stephan Mueller) (12/15/89)

In article <35005@cornell.UUCP> samuel@cs.cornell.edu (Samuel M. Weber) writes:
>For example, I found that even when you can only build on towns, you can
>still build when only a knight is on-screen.  The computer seems to do this
>a lot.  Also, once the computer flooded, and my leader was left to drown
>with no settlements nearby.  However, even though I could only build on
>towns, I was able to rescue my leader!  Apparently in desparate circumstances
>the rules are relaxed.  So, not only the computer can do these things.

The same rule appears to be applicable at all times, it's just a bit
more complicated than the documentation describes.  I've found that
you can build land at level 1 (ie. one step above sea level) any time
you have a walker on the screen and that walker is at level one or
below.

stephan("You can tune a piano, but you can't armadillo");