[rec.games.misc] Flight simulators for the Mac

sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) (02/12/90)

I'm interested in purchasing a couple of flight simulators for my Macs (a Plus
and a IIci) and would like comments from any users of the following flight
simulators:

Falcon
Microsoft JET
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Chuck Yeagers's Flight Simulator
P-51 Mustang

First - are there any Mac flight simulators besides these?

Next - do any of these support color on a Mac II?

Finally - I guess I am most interested in JET.  I've tried Falcon and it is
too complex to be enjoyable for me, and from what I've read about JET is
(it) sounds like a more playable and enjoyable simulation than Falcon.
Anyone tried them both?

--
Michael D'Alessandro M.D.
The National Library of Medicine

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (02/12/90)

In article <11393@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>Microsoft JET

I don't think that JET is from Microsoft.  Last I looked, it was from
SubLogic.  Also, I recall that it said explicitly that it would not
work on a Mac II.

>Microsoft Flight Simulator

This only works on a Plus (or previous), and you have to boot from the
Microsoft disk.

>Next - do any of these support color on a Mac II?

From the infamous games list:

	Falcon - 1, mf, II
	Chuck Yeager Flight Simulator - *, mf, II

That is, Falcon forces you to go into 1-bit mode (not acceptable to me,
even with Switcheroo), works under MultiFinder, and works on a II. Chuck
Yeager works under any screen depth (at least I think that's what we
decided), and with MultiFinder and Mac II's.

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

In article <1990Feb12.034306.20834@smsc.sony.com> dce@Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>	Falcon - 1, mf, II
>	Chuck Yeager Flight Simulator - *, mf, II

Oops, I forgot something.

Just because these say they are Mac II-compatible doesn't mean that
they are IIci-compatible.

Some programs may have problems with 32-bit QuickDraw, which is builtin
to the IIci.  Others may not be playable due to the speed of the machine.
Also, there are programs for which copy-protection is broken on the IIci.

Sadly, there is no complete compatability matrix available for software.
Reviewers tend to give minimum system requirements, but even those
magazines which are nothing but lists of software do not give information
like whether or not the software works under MultiFinder, what screen
depths are supported, whether big screens are supported, or even if the
software works on a given machine.

My advice is to only buy software with a money-back guarantee.  That way,
you can send it back if it doesn't work, and the fact that you returned
it may get back to the manufacturer and get them to fix the code.
--

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (02/12/90)

In article <11393@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>I'm interested in purchasing a couple of flight simulators for my Macs (a Plus
>and a IIci) and would like comments from any users of the following flight
>simulators:
>
>Falcon
>Microsoft JET
>Microsoft Flight Simulator
>Chuck Yeagers's Flight Simulator
>P-51 Mustang

Hi,

  I own both Falcon and Chuck Yeager's AFT.  I agree with your sentiment
(which I deleted above) that Falcon is too complicated.  It also doesn't run
on non-Apple color cards, which lets me out now that I have a IIx with
SuperMac's Colorcard/24 (which I dearly love, BTW).

  I'm afraid that Chuck's may be out for you too, at least on the IIci.  AFT
does not run under Color QuickDraw (at least not the RAM version...), so you
have to drag it elsewhere and reboot.  This is not possible on the 'ci, since
it's in ROM.  Too bad, too, since I think AFT is one of the best I've tried
(and I've flown WWII airplanes; it does a decent (not great) job with the
Mustang).  Electronic Arts told me that they don't have an upgrade to AFT 1.0,
which is too bad, since it has some other bugs, too, although none are major
(color glitches mostly).

  I've not tried P-51 Mustang.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has,
especialy on a MacII with a non-Apple video board.

  I thing MS Flight Simulator dies on a II-series, but I'm not sure of that at
all.  Never tried JET.

--Mike

cfj@nosun.UUCP (Charlie Johnson) (02/13/90)

I have AFT for my SE/30.  We bought it because (supposedly.) it was the only
flight simulator which will run on the 68030 machines.  It's pretty hard to
fly at first for the novice. (I'm not a pilot and haven't used any other flight
simulators.)  You have a choice of about a dozen different planes from a
Cessna to a SR-71.  It has a pretty good training mode which teaches how to
fly and also teaches you some of the acrobatics like loops, rolls, etc.

As a games though, it has some drawbacks in that the terrain never changes.
It really doesn't have much of a games playing sequence.  The way each plan
handles is quite different which is probably realistic. (Try a 360 degree roll
in a SR-71 and see what happens.)

Good points are that it isn't copy protected and it runs under multifinder.

--Charles Johnson
  Intel Scientfic Computers
  Beaverton, OR
  cfj@isc.intel.com

msmiller@glass.Sun.COM (Mark Miller) (02/13/90)

In article <11393@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>I'm interested in purchasing a couple of flight simulators for my Macs (a Plus
>and a IIci) and would like comments from any users of the following flight
>simulators:
>
>Falcon
>Microsoft JET
>Microsoft Flight Simulator
>Chuck Yeagers's Flight Simulator
>P-51 Mustang
>
>First - are there any Mac flight simulators besides these?
>
>Next - do any of these support color on a Mac II?

MS Flight Sim is kind of disapointing. P-51 is a very good simulation
but is wireframe drawing only. I think it now supports the MacII but I
don't think it runs color. Falcon has a lot of bells and whistles but
the air-to-air combat animation really bags it and the thing is almost
impossible to land. The fun part of Falcon (for me anyway) is the
ground-attack stuff - lotsa neat air-to-mud weapons. Of course, this
isn't what the F-16 was initially designed to do.

The other option is Air Warrior which is available on GEnie. This is a
real-time multi-player WW2 air-combat simulator which will run in
color on a MacII. You play against other people from all over the
country in real-time. The flight simulation is OK (i.e. it has
problems) but the GAME takes months and months to master because you
play against people. The downside is that at $6/hr AW can gobble VISA
cards at an enormous rate. Also, if GEnie is having a bad day, AW
becomes almost unplayable due to network delays.

    -MSM
Mark S. Miller      UUCP: msmiller@Sun.COM      "In a nation ruled by swine,
##################  GEnie: MSMILLER             all pigs are upward mobile."
######################################################  - Hunter S. Thompson

carlo@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (02/13/90)

>Some programs may have problems with 32-bit QuickDraw, which is builtin
>to the IIci.  Others may not be playable due to the speed of the machine.

Chuck Yaeger's Flight Simulator works on a IIci. As on all color Macs, it
uses only 16 colors, though. In addition, try it out before you buy it: I
am a Microsoft FS veteran (both on PC's and Mac Pluses) and, even in B&W on
a Plus, I used to have more fun with it than in color on a IIci with Chuck
Yaeger's. The terrain info is great in Microsoft's FS. Now if only you
could fly more planes and have color and more detailed terrain info....
Carlo

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/14/90)

In article <11393@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>I'm interested in purchasing a couple of flight simulators for my Macs (a Plus
>and a IIci) and would like comments from any users of the following flight
    [stuff deleted]
>Next - do any of these support color on a Mac II?

I have Chuck Yeagar. It was given to me by my brother for Christmas. I really
like it. It is NOT a shoot 'em up type simulator but rather a flight trainer
that lets you try different types of aircraft (11 I think). Some things are
oversimplified but others are quit good (my daughter of 7 flies the cessena).

I used to run it on my SE and one day I took it into work and tried it on a
MacII with standard color screen. It worked real nice (uses 16 color mode).
Furthermore, it adapted to the size of the screen so that you could actually
see more.

And THEN...Last week we got a new MacIIx with a 21 inch color screen! (just had
to try it!). IT WORKED GREAT!! It adapted to the 21 inch. When you sit close to
the screen and do a 2.5Mach flyby of one of the land objects in the SR71, it's
pretty neat!

Ground objects are plain (pyramids, blocks, etc.) but you can race against
up to three of your best races through an obstical type race course. Or you can
just take the flying lessons and learn how to make a proper approach to a
runway.

As a flight simulator and trainer, I like it and you can learn it real quick (G
toggles gear, F toggles flaps , 0-9 is thrust, etc. only about 10 keys to
learn.)

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (02/14/90)

In article <5222@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
>Yaeger's. The terrain info is great in Microsoft's FS. Now if only you
>could fly more planes and have color and more detailed terrain info....

Or if Chuck Yaeger's would just add detailed terrain info...

I have flown Microsoft's FS but I personally prefer CY. One thing that I forgot
to mention in my earlier posting. For all you would - be radio control pilots,
one thing that is fun with CY is to set the view to Tower and then watch the
3-D plane fly around it while you control it. This is not easy with an F-18
flying at 1.2Mach...
--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (02/14/90)

 The current version of Chuck Yeager's AFT DOES run on a IIci with no problems
and AMAZING smoothness of the animation. It's a good flight simulator for
beginners, but has little to do with real airplanes. The controls don't behave
correctly when the plane is in strange attitudes, and there's really nothing
much to do except fly around. (No instruments to speak of, nothing to shoot.)

The races are fun, but that's about it. Still, the animation is very impressive
on the IIci.

t-dougls@microsoft.UUCP (Douglas Strauss) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb12.034306.20834@smsc.sony.com> dce@Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <11393@nlm-mcs.arpa> sandro@nlm-mcs.arpa (Michael D'Alessandro) writes:
>>Microsoft JET
>
>I don't think that JET is from Microsoft.  Last I looked, it was from
>SubLogic.  Also, I recall that it said explicitly that it would not
>work on a Mac II.
>
>>Microsoft Flight Simulator
>
>This only works on a Plus (or previous), and you have to boot from the
>Microsoft disk.

Well, MS Flight Sim, will also run on a Mac SE.