[rec.games.misc] Adventure Definition Language

g1@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/26/90)

I'm looking for the sources and/or DOS executable forms of one of two
text adventure creating languages I've seen over the years but can no
longer find.

They are: Dungeon Definition Language and Adventure Definition Language. Both
(I'm told) provide the means to write text adventures without having to
do the tedious "how does one get something, etc." bits.

I started writing a text adventure a few years back, and had actually
written something similar to these, but I don't even have that stuff
any more, and I don't feel like rewriting it.

Can anyone tell me how to get either of these? I'd really like to have the
source, if I could get it, that works on any machine. I can make it work
on the PC. 'Course, save work if I could get a version already ported to
the PC.

Thanks,
Bruce
* Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict       uunet!amdahl!drivax!holloway *
* ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                            ALBATROSS @ Delphi *

jrferro@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Jon R Ferro) (03/27/90)

In article <9SRGAKL@drivax.UUCP> g1@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
>I'm looking for the sources and/or DOS executable forms of one of two
>text adventure creating languages I've seen over the years but can no
>longer find.
>
>They are: Dungeon Definition Language and Adventure Definition
>Language. Both (I'm told) provide the means to write text adventures
>without having to do the tedious "how does one get something, etc."
>bits.

The C sources to both ADL and another adventure-authoring system,
ADVSYS, were posted to comp.sources.games several years ago.  They are
available in volume 2 of the comp.sources.games archive on ftp.uu.net
(via anonymous ftp).

According to the documentation supplied with the sources, ADL will
compile on BSD Unix, HPUX, MS-DOS, and AmigaDos by making changes to one
header file.  I had no difficulty building the system on BSD with GCC.
I have no idea if ADVSYS will compile on DOS, but I had no problem with
it on BSD.

Both systems come complete with manuals and with "standard libraries" of
routines designed to overcome the "having to do the tedious bits"
problems.

I have not worked with either system long enough to determine whether
one is technically superior to the other, so I will have to assume that
it is a matter of personal preference.  Given that, my personal
preference leans toward ADL.

Hope this helps!

--
Jon Ferro					jrferro@ai.mit.edu
MIT Transportation Modelling Research Center, Documentation Committee

bobm@anasaz.UUCP (Bob Maccione) (03/30/90)

In article <7474@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> jrferro@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jon R Ferro) writes:
*
*The C sources to both ADL and another adventure-authoring system,
*ADVSYS, were posted to comp.sources.games several years ago.  They are
*available in volume 2 of the comp.sources.games archive on ftp.uu.net
*(via anonymous ftp).
*

Due to the fact that my system doesn't have anonymous ftp capability,
could someone please either post or sent me the ADL system.

thanks
bob