[rec.games.misc] Review: OMEGA/Mac from Origin Systems

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (05/04/90)

[the following is based on another review, written for publication...]

		OMEGA -- CyberTank Engineering for Fun

		  (C) Copyright 1990 by Dave Taylor

"Good Morning.  As a new member of the Organization for Strategic Intelligence,
your first assignment is to use the neural cybertank design and simulation
system on your computer to help us create an unbeatable cyber, or automated
tank."

"We recognize that this might be a challenging task, so we are making available
to you the 200 page CyberTank Engineer's Notebook document for your reading, as
well as many other items of information and sample cybertanks for your
education."

"Since our vetting process revealed to us that you have an Apple Macintosh
computer, we have arranged for a copy of the OMEGA Mac Cybertank simulation to
arrive with this recording.  Characterized by an easy to use interface and a
complete implementation of the Cybertank "AI" programming language, it should
prove more than sufficient to get you well on the way to some tough and powerful
cybertanks."

"To further aid you in understanding, attached please find OSI Report
00234-BA-O/3, Common Questions and Answers About Omega."

"Message Ends."

Official OSI Report 00234-BA-O/3	DELTA-4 Classification

Common Questions and Answers About OMEGA

Q:  What is OMEGA?
A:  A sophisticated and well engineered high tech tank programming and
simulation program.  Based on the original CoreWars program as created in
the late 1960's, OMEGA is for those of you that like games that are more
thinking and exploration exercises than hand-eye coordination tests.

Q:  What's a CyberTank?
A:  A cybertank consists of the following elements; a chassis, including armor,
weaponry, and similar, and a tank AI module, which is the 'brains' of the tank.
When designing a tank, you can choose from a great number of different weaponry,
engine, and armor options, relative to your credit level (which is a function of
how well the tanks you design perform in combat simulation or "validation") and
then are expected to spend most of your time designing the program that "runs"
the tank.

Q:  Cybertank AI module?
A:  Let's look at an incredibly simple example:
		START
			DO SEARCH
			DO DESTROY
			BRANCH TO START
That gives us a very simple tank that can move around until it finds something
worth shooting at (an enemy tank or the enemy headquarters), at which point it
will sit and shoot until dead or the target is destroyed.  In the actual
simulation, however, you'll want more sophisticated tanks than that, like the
competition-winning AI module attached below.   Note its use of scanning and
identification of obstacles to improve the sophistication of the movement
and attack sequences too.

Q:  What does the simulator look like?
A:  Well, we can't include graphics here, but the display is typical of
the types of graphics one sees in a PC game ported to the Macintosh.
A typical display has lots of buttons, dials, and status indicators,
including, during cyber evaluation time, the following items:
	F	=	Fuel Remaining,
	I	=	Internal Damage,
	A	=	Armor Damage,
	T	=	Tread Damage,
	S	=	Scanner Damage,
	W	=	Weapon Damage,
	SL	=	Scanner Lock,
	DS	=	Defense Shield,
	LD	=	Listener Disengaged,
	T	=	Total number of battles to be simulated,
	B	=	Battles previously fought,
	S	=	number of successful battles,
	R	=	number of active Cybertanks remaining.

Q:  Do I need a security clearance?
A:  To enter the Organization for Strategic Intelligence you will have to submit
to a retina scan to verify your identity, and thereafter that, coupled with your
self-selected password, will be sufficient to allow you to enter the simulation.

Q:  Is the game fun?
A:  Something this serious should hardly be considered a game, per se, but
for the purposes of this document, yes, it is fun, and it's the kind of game
that a group of people could get enthused about and swap tank designs and
such, pitting them against each other in various simulated environments.

Q: What does the reviewer think of it?
A:  (excerpts from a classified review)

"...of the many thinking games I have for my Macintosh, OMEGA is one of the
finest, allowing my friends and I to compete for best tank design in a such a
way that we don't have to be all in th same room (with a stack of computers) at
the same time, but can still have lots of fun anyway."

"...quite playable, with the graphics - non-Mac and clearly a direct translation
from MS-DOS P being very slick.  The amount of effort that has been put into the
documentation also makes the CyberTank Engineering Notebook quite enjoyable
reading."

Q: Nothing bad?
A:  (excerpts from a classified review)

"... on the down side, it's a bit confusing to take all the steps needed to go
from a tank design to being able to create a simulation and have the tank a part
of the simulation."

"...as usual, the game only uses a Plus-size screen image, so if you have a
larger display as I do, you're stuck with it all in the top left corner.
Support for larger screens would be especially nice during combat simulation."

00234-BA-O/3   ENDS

	OMEGA   for the Apple Macintosh, $49.95
            Origin Systems
	       136-B Harvey Rd, Londonderry, NH 03053
	       (800) 999-4939

	Also available for MS-DOS, Apple II, Commodore,
	    Amiga and Atari computers.

---------  Attachment 1:

	* CyberTank AI Module Listing by Steve Cantrell, Origin Systems

	Start
        		scanface = 1
	Scan
        		if scanface = 8 then Circle
        		scan for tank
        		if tank found then Attack
        		rotate right 1
        		scanface = scanface + 1
        		goto Scan
	Circle
        		scan for tank
        		if tank found then Attack
        		rotate right 2
        		do Movetank
        		goto Start
	Attack
        		align tank
	Looper
        		scan for tank
        		if tank not found then Start
        		if tank within range then Boom
        		if enemydist > 5 then do Movetank
        		goto Looper
	Boom
        		fire at tank
        		fire at tank
       			fire at tank
        		goto Looper
	Movetank
        		detect at tank direction
        		if not obstructed then Go
        		if obstacletype = 2 then Go
        		if obstacletype > 6 then Attack
        		if obstacletype = 6 then Turn
        		fire at obstruction
        		goto Movetank
	Turn
        		turn right 3
        		goto Movetank
	Go
        		move forward 1
        		resume

----------------

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor
Newsgroups: rec.sys.mac.games
Subject: Review: "Omega" from Origin Systems

[...]

A:  A sophisticated and well engineered high tech tank programming and
simulation program.  Based on the original CoreWars program as created in
the late 1960's, OMEGA is for those of you that like games that are more
thinking and exploration exercises than hand-eye coordination tests.

Q:  What's a CyberTank?
A:  A cybertank consists of the following elements; a chassis, including armor,
weaponry, and similar, and a tank AI module, which is the 'brains' of the tank.
When designing a tank, you can choose from a great number of different weaponry,
engine, and armor options, relative to your credit level (which is a function of
how well the tanks you design perform in combat simulation or "validation") and
then are expected to spend most of your time designing the program that "runs"
the tank.

Q:  Cybertank AI module?
A:  Let's look at an incredibly simple example:
		START
			DO SEARCH
			DO DESTROY
			BRANCH TO START
That gives us a very simple tank that can move around until it finds something
worth shooting at (an enemy tank or the enemy headquarters), at which point it
will sit and shoot until dead or the target is destroyed.  In the actual
simulation, however, you'll want more sophisticated tanks than that, like the
competition-winning AI module attached below.   Note its use of scanning and
identification of obstacles to improve the sophistication of the movement
and attack sequences too.

Q:  What does the simulator look like?
A:  Well, we can't include graphics here, but the display is typical of
the types of graphics one sees in a PC game ported to the Macintosh.
A typical display has lots of buttons, dials, and status indicators,
including, during cyber evaluation time, the following items:
	F	=	Fuel Remaining,
	I	=	Internal Damage,
	A	=	Armor Damage,
	T	=	Tread Damage,
	S	=	Scanner Damage,
	W	=	Weapon Damage,
	SL	=	Scanner Lock,
	DS	=	Defense Shield,
	LD	=	Listener Disengaged,
	T	=	Total number of battles to be simulated,
	B	=	Battles previously fought,
	S	=	number of successful battles,
	R	=	number of active Cybertanks remaining.

Q:  Do I need a security clearance?
A:  To enter the Organization for Strategic Intelligence you will have to submit
to a retina scan to verify your identity, and thereafter that, coupled with your
self-selected password, will be sufficient to allow you to enter the simulation.

Q:  Is the game fun?
A:  Something this serious should hardly be considered a game, per se, but
for the purposes of this document, yes, it is fun, and it's the kind of game
that a group of people could get enthused about and swap tank designs and
such, pitting them against each other in various simulated environments.

Q: What does the reviewer think of it?
A:  (excerpts from a classified review)

"...of the many thinking games I have for my Macintosh, OMEGA is one of the
finest, allowing my friends and I to compete for best tank design in a such a
way that we don't have to be all in th same room (with a stack of computers) at
the same time, but can still have lots of fun anyway."

"...quite playable, with the graphics - non-Mac and clearly a direct translation
from MS-DOS P being very slick.  The amount of effort that has been put into the
documentation also makes the CyberTank Engineering Notebook quite enjoyable
reading."

Q: Nothing bad?
A:  (excerpts from a classified review)