[rec.games.misc] Chess program recommendation wanted

mikes@pedsga.UUCP (Mike Shulman <shulman>) (09/08/90)

Hello everyone!

  I am looking to buy a good chess program for my IBM PC. The 2
I am currently considering are Chessmaster 2100 and Sargon IV.
If anybody can recommend one over the other, or knows of a program
which is better then those two, please let me know.
  Thanks in advance!

					  - Mike.
Mike Shulman
Internet: shulman@tinton.ccur.com
UUCP: rutgers!petsd!pedsga!mikes

lb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Louis Blair) (09/11/90)

>I am looking to buy a good chess program for my
>IBM PC. The 2 I am currently considering are
>Chessmaster 2100 and Sargon IV.  If anybody can
>recommend one over the other, or knows of a program
>which is better then those two, please let me know.

rec.arts.movies has something called the Frequently
Asked Question List which is regularly posted and
updated.  If rec.games.chess had a similar regular
feature, this would certainly be one of the first items
on it.  Opinion seems to be near universal that
Chessmaster 2100 is a stronger player than Sargon
IV, but there is also a growing number of reports
from people who say that there are other programs
available that are superior to either of these:  Rexchess,
Gnuchess, Zarkov, AI chess, M chess, etc.  I understand
that Stuart Cracraft has some involvement with those
last four and I will let him give you the details for them.
Rexchess is being developed by Larry Kaufman and
the main distributer seems to be ICD (1-800-645-4710).
I'm afraid that, at least as far as I know, there is no
truely independent source for information on the
relative strengths of all these programs.  A typical
problem that one encounters is illustrated by Computer
Chess Reports that does undertake to report on the
latest developments in chess-playing machines and
programs.  It is published by ICD and written by
Kaufman.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the
performance of any one product will depend very
much on the type of machine that is running the
program.  I understand that in the case of some of
the programs like Sargon and Chessmaster, the
program for the Mac, for example, may be completely
different from the program sold under the same name
for an IBM machine.  This is why you will sometimes
hear contradictory word-of-mouth reports about some
of these programs.

6600kntp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Kent Perrier) (09/19/90)

In article <1399@pedsga.UUCP> mikes@pedsga.UUCP (Mike Shulman <shulman>) writes:

>Hello everyone!

>  I am looking to buy a good chess program for my IBM PC. The 2
>I am currently considering are Chessmaster 2100 and Sargon IV.
>If anybody can recommend one over the other, or knows of a program
>which is better then those two, please let me know.
>  Thanks in advance!

>					  - Mike.
>--
>Mike Shulman
>Internet: shulman@tinton.ccur.com
>UUCP: rutgers!petsd!pedsga!mikes

I would recommend Chessmaster 2100.  I have it and I like it a lot. That's my
opinion, at least.

Kent Perrier
6600kntp@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
        @ucsbuxa.BITNET

DAM137@psuvm.psu.edu (09/19/90)

     If would like to have a compitent chess player with great graphics and sou
nd, there's always Battle Chess.  It can be a challenging game when set on the
upper levels of play, it gives you something to watch while waiting for those l
ong, drawn out moves, and it is a neat novelty program.  Beyond that, the price
 isn't bad either...

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (09/20/90)

>In article <1399@pedsga.UUCP> mikes@pedsga.UUCP (Mike Shulman <shulman>) writes:
>>  I am looking to buy a good chess program for my IBM PC. The 2
>>I am currently considering are Chessmaster 2100 and Sargon IV.
>>If anybody can recommend one over the other, or knows of a program
>>which is better then those two, please let me know.
>>  Thanks in advance!

If you insist on _buying_ one, go ahead.  However, why not give the recent
DOS port of GNUCHESS at try?  Sure, its character based interface is
simplistic, but you also get full C source code.

Also, I know from personal experience that there is at least one
(possibly unreleased) EGA/VGA graphics version.  And, I read in
comp.windows.ms that there is an MS Windows version, but I have not
actually seen it.

Stuart Cracraft, a frequent poster to this group, should have all
the details on DOS GNUCHESS.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/20/90)

In article <1248@ashton.UUCP>, tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>In article <1399@pedsga.UUCP> mikes@pedsga.UUCP (Mike Shulman
<shulman>) writes:
>>  I am looking to buy a good chess program for my IBM PC. The 2 I am
>>currently considering are Chessmaster 2100 and Sargon IV.  If
>>anybody can recommend one over the other, or knows of a program
>>which is better then those two, please let me know.
>>  Thanks in advance!
Tom> If you insist on _buying_ one, go ahead.  However, why not give
Tom> the recent DOS port of GNUCHESS at try?  Sure, its character
Tom> based interface is simplistic, but you also get full C source
Tom> code.

I'd like to second the recommendation to try GNU Chess.. It isn't as
slick as the two commercial products mentioned because it lacks
features like historical replay and stuff, but it is basically as
strong from reports in gnu.chess... I own Sargon 3 and Chessmaster
2100 and find that both are good for teaching tools, but GNU Chess for
MS Win 3.0 (on cica.cica.indiana.edu in pub/pc/win3/games?) is the one
I play the most these days while downloading files or reading news...

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@austin.iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +