[rec.games.misc] Might & Magic II

ring@cie.uoregon.edu (Randy Ingram) (09/19/90)

I have a few questions that need answering before I go too much further with
Might and Magic II.  I only have two game disks so my back-up save won't be
around for long (okay... I know I'll just save the roster file but a wanted
a sense of urgency to this!).

First of all... my characters were all 17-18 level when they decided to tackle
the cuisinarts.  So... after a quick bath in "Murray's Power Oil" TM, and a
drink of sewage I headed for the slice and dice triplets.  Well, I blew 'em
up REAL good and was awarded experience points from HELL!!!  Just tons but I
can't remember an exact number.  Anyway when I went to train, each charcter
got to go up several levels (to 24 I believe).  With every few levels on the
Paladin and Archer there was a message that they had gained new spells.  This
was normal and expected.  The only problem is they never gained any new spells!
when I finished training an looked to see what their new spell level was, it
hadn't changed! It was stuck at level 7.  Is this as high as these two classes
can go?  If not what levels correspond to spell levels with these two classes?

I'm wondering if I've done something earlier in the game to restrict their
advancement.  I also noticed that my characters (or at least the Archer and
Sorcerer) didn't gain any spell points, and actual lost them.  Since this
had happened before from starvation, I deduced that the fruit from one of the
trees or oasises was bad.  By having a feeding frenzy I solved that problem
and the Spell Points went back up!

Anyway I just need to know I anyone knows what my problem is?  Pertaining to
the game not my questionable grammar.  Is there a reason these guys haven't
gotten to Spell levels 8 & 9?  Do they advance VERY slowly?

Secondly... When I went to the circus repeatedly and boosted my Might and Endur-
ance the stats wouldn't go higher than 100.  Is there some sort of "cap" on
these totals?  This is for the Amiga version by the way.

Lastly... Some of my stats have dropped.  The ones I've noticed are the same
ones "enhanced" at the circus.  Have these dropped because:

			A) The character has aged
			B) The character has been rejuvenated
			C) You have no idea... so why don't I get a CLUE!
			D) None of the above

Well those are all my questions for now.  This is a great game... lots to
explore.

Oh, one last thing.  Once while leaving Tundara, I happened upon the castle of
Lord Haart.  When I returned later, I couldn't find it.  Does this place only
appear at certain times or have I just messed up the coordinates?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

		Randy S. Ingram
				   ring@cie.uoregon.edu
				 chance@cup.portal.com
				 chance@PLink
        somethingIcan'trememberrightnow@GEnie

sanford@boulder.Colorado.EDU (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep19.160442.2818@cs.uoregon.edu> ring@cie.uoregon.edu writes:

>First of all... my characters were all 17-18 level when they decided to tackle
>the cuisinarts.

Who/what exactly are the "cuisinarts"?

>Secondly... When I went to the circus repeatedly and boosted my Might and
>Endurance, the stats wouldn't go higher than 100.  Is there some sort of "cap"
>on these totals?  This is for the Amiga version by the way.

100 is the highest they will go - I've checked on the C-64 version too.

There is a pool in the eastern desert, where you can go and get all stats,
including level, raised to 100 - It's a lot easier than waiting a year for the
circus to get back... It only lasts for one encounter, but that one encounter
can be very effective.  I believe you need to take the old man a doll first,
but I'm not sure.

>Oh, one last thing.  Once while leaving Tundara, I happened upon the castle of
>Lord Haart.  When I returned later, I couldn't find it.  Does this place only
>appear at certain times or have I just messed up the coordinates?

Lord Haart's castle should still be there, but if you talked to him the first
time you were there, he commissioned you to go and get family heirloom-type
items from the past (using the time machine).  He won't talk to you again
until you return them.

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (09/26/90)

In article <26913@boulder.Colorado.EDU> sanford@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>There is a pool in the eastern desert, where you can go and get all stats,
>including level, raised to 100 - It's a lot easier than waiting a year for the
>circus to get back... It only lasts for one encounter, but that one encounter
>can be very effective.  I believe you need to take the old man a doll first,
>but I'm not sure.

	Where exactly IS the old man?  I think I met him once in a forest
somewhere but I didn't have any cupie dolls at the time.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (11/05/90)

Either Might & Magic II has some interesting bugs or some features that I
do not understand at all.  I just completed the quest for Clerics (reuniting
Corak's Soul with his body), taking 4 clerics and 4 robbers along.  (The
robbers had already been on a few other quests and had received their
5,000,000 experience points.)  Also, all 8 of the characters had been taken
to the circus till their statistics were 100 (more with various items).

When I went to the jurors and then trained the clerics in Atlantium, all 4
of the clerics now have approximately 33,000 hit points (no, that's not a
typo).  This did not happen to any of the other character classes, and it
didn't happen to a friend of mine's clerics.  Is this just a bug, or is there
some deep dark secret to this?  At least, I now can survive the Cuisinarts!
:) :) :).

Also, 3 of the clerics at various points in the game have suddenly had
around 16,000 gems in their posession, total around 48,000.  I don't know
what caused that either, though I'm not complaining.  By the way, I was
using the Black & White version when this happened, though I have the color
version as well.

I also have a couple of other questions, not related to possible bugs.

1)  How do you kill Lord Shalwend in the time of Air?  Magic rarely works
against him, most of my characters can't even touch him (statistics all
over 100, though it didn't work when they were around 20 either), and he
eradicates with a single touch (even the 33,000 HP clerics).  Even if I
don't have to kill him, it's just the principle of the thing. :)

2)  Why does Turn Undead always fail now that I have the Holy Word spell?
My clerics (or my paladins, for that matter) can no longer "Turn Undead"
even the easiest undead monsters.  What's worse is that once "Turn Undead"
has been cast, Holy Word never works in that battle.

3)  Also, just out of curiosity, where is the hireling H.K. Phooey?  He's
not where the cluebook says he's supposed to be.  It's not like I need him
or anything, I'm just curious.

If any of you have answers to any of the above, I would appreciate knowing
them!

Thanks,

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/06/90)

In article <314@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP
(David C. Barnhart II) writes:

(possible spoilers)

>Either Might & Magic II has some interesting bugs or some features that I
>do not understand at all.  I just completed the quest for Clerics (reuniting
>Corak's Soul with his body), taking 4 clerics and 4 robbers along.  (The
>robbers had already been on a few other quests and had received their
>5,000,000 experience points.)  Also, all 8 of the characters had been taken
>to the circus till their statistics were 100 (more with various items).
>
>When I went to the jurors and then trained the clerics in Atlantium, all 4
>of the clerics now have approximately 33,000 hit points (no, that's not a
>typo).  This did not happen to any of the other character classes, and it
>didn't happen to a friend of mine's clerics.  Is this just a bug, or is there
>some deep dark secret to this?  At least, I now can survive the Cuisinarts!
>:) :) :).

I had trouble with this same sort of thing.  I won't go into specifics
because you may not have completed the quests I did.  I haven't
finished playing the game yet, but here is my understanding of the
situation: You must do each quest with people who have not yet
completed ANY quest.  That is, none of the robbers that you take with
you to Corak's cave can have already earned their 5 million pts.
So if all your robbers have already earned their rewards, you either
have to create another robber, or you have to just try to kick the
door down in the cave.

>Also, 3 of the clerics at various points in the game have suddenly had
>around 16,000 gems in their posession, total around 48,000.  I don't know
>what caused that either, though I'm not complaining.  By the way, I was
>using the Black & White version when this happened, though I have the color
>version as well.

I'm playing on a PC, but I don't think that matters here.  The gems
might have been found without you even noticing them.  There is a
spot in B-4 where you get gems just by walking where they are, for
example.

>I also have a couple of other questions, not related to possible bugs.
>
>1)  How do you kill Lord Shalwend in the time of Air?  Magic rarely works
>against him, most of my characters can't even touch him (statistics all
>over 100, though it didn't work when they were around 20 either), and he
>eradicates with a single touch (even the 33,000 HP clerics).  Even if I
>don't have to kill him, it's just the principle of the thing. :)

I only fought him once--and ran.  Can't help you here!

>2)  Why does Turn Undead always fail now that I have the Holy Word spell?
>My clerics (or my paladins, for that matter) can no longer "Turn Undead"
>even the easiest undead monsters.  What's worse is that once "Turn Undead"
>has been cast, Holy Word never works in that battle.

I have had this same problem, and I do NOT yet have the Holy Word spell
so I don't think that's the problem.  I'm afraid I can't answer this
one either, but at least I can sympathize.  Anybody know?

>3)  Also, just out of curiosity, where is the hireling H.K. Phooey?  He's
>not where the cluebook says he's supposed to be.  It's not like I need him
>or anything, I'm just curious.

Go to Sandsobar, eat the special meal called "Gourmet Dinner  B Wyrm
Chop Suey" and he'll turn up.

Please note that the tip you get in this tavern is misprogrammed.
Instead of "The Gourmet  A3 7,6" it should be "The Gourmet  A3 7,7."

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC