[rec.games.misc] Prince of Persia Leaping

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (01/29/91)

From article <91024.222615JM2NRHMC@MIAMIU.BITNET>, by JM2NRHMC@MIAMIU.BITNET:
> Help me please,
>
>        I (and a group of friends) are completely stuck in LEVEL 2 of
> Prince of Persia.  Our problem is at the VERY VERY VERY END of the
> level. Picture this:
>
>        You're at what appears to be the special door to the next level,
> having entered from the right and defeated the guard there.  You
> proceed to the left, make a running leap across the HUGE, DEEP chasm.
> Upon landing, you trigger a pressure plate which presumably opens the
> sealed door. Now, HOW DO I GET BACK SAFELY?
>
>        The pit is too deep to lower your man into, a standing long jump
> just barely misses the right-hand side, and there is not enough room
> for a running start to execute a running long jump!  We are stumped!
>
>        Please E-mail replies, If you can.....
>
>                                       Thanks in advance,
>
>                                          John McMillan

> * To tell the truth is dangerous; * JOHN McMILLAN
> * To listen to it is annoying.    * jm2nrhmc@miamiu.bitnet
> *     - Glorious Danish Proverb   * jm2nrhmc@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

 You must learn to do a leap across, catch with your hands and pull
 yourself up. To do this you use the shift key on the IBM's or Amiga key
 on the AMIGA (dunno for Atari). STand on the edge facing rightward,
 press the shift and simultaneously do a standing leap. Pull yourself up
 by releasing the up key (I think---its either that or the sideways
 arrow). You need to practise this anyway because if you cant do this
 now then you'll never get through level 3. You cant save until level 3
 so practise 3 by using shift L until you cant get through 3 ok. Level 4
 is easier.

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

From vn Mon Jan 28 12:46:16 1991
Subject: Re: Prince of Persia help
Newsgroups: rec.games.misc,bit.listserv.games-l

From article <36356@netnews.upenn.edu>, by lwl@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Lydia Leong):
> I downloaded the demo of this from a bbs (NOT a pirated copy, but the official
> demo, which is the beginning title screens plus the first two levels).
> It looks pretty good, but I can't figure out the controls.
> Does it support the mouse? And if not, what keys can be used, and what do
> they do?

  Mouse is shift M, keyboard shift K. Non-cheat keys are arrows, shift
  spacebar,  shift L,Q,R, and cntl G and L.

> Can someone help me out? And can someone tell me the price of the game and
> how much bigger/different it is from the demo?

  13 levels. dunno the price, sorry.

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

> --
> Lydia Leong                  |   If there is anyone here that I have not
> lwl@eniac.seas.upenn.edu     |   offended, I deeply apologize. -- J. Brahms

From vn Mon Jan 28 12:49:45 1991
Subject: Re: UK Scanner Frequencies Wanted
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave

From article <1991Jan24.112147.9808@vaxa.strath.ac.uk>, by cbap12@vaxa.strath.ac.uk:

>     Can anyone tell me of a source of frequency lists for the UK ?
>
>     The frequencies I would like are from 25Mhz - 1300 Mhz .
>
>     Yes I know its illegal to listen to other than broadcast amateur and CB
>
>     bands in the UK but i`d like it for reference only.....

      Yes I would appreciate this list also. Again only for reference
      only. I wouldnt dream  of actually switching a scanner on- how
      naughty that would be.

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

>     Thanx in advance....
>

>      Dave
>
> --
>     ##############################################################
>     #     `The girl who is easy to get may be hard to take'      #
>     #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
>     #     Dave Wishart 3rd Year General Science                  #
>     #     University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow G1 1XQ              #
>     #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
>     #     JANET: cbap12@uk.ac.strath.vaxa                        #
>     #     INTERNET: cbap12%uk.ac.strath.vaxa@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  #
>     ##############################################################

From vn Mon Jan 28 13:02:35 1991
Subject: Re: DM 1:  Help on level 6
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games

From article <2056@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, by camm@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Ian Camm):
> In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:
>>
>>I need help on level 6(?) of DM (the first floor where you encounter those
>>big floating round monsters with the big eyeball).  I'm trying to get a key
>>that is in a room behind a gate.  I need the key to open the second of two
>>doors at the other end of the hallway.  I can't figure out how to keep the
>>gate open so that I can get the key.  The room has three pressure pads on the
>>floor, a pit, a green button on the wall, and a lever which turns a block of
>>blue (teleportation) haze on and off.  The room looks like this:
>>

>>         __           [] - Pressure pad
>>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
>>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>>  |  |

>>No matter what combination of movements, lever settings, etc. I try, I can't
>>seem to stop the gate from closing when I walk on the bottom-center pressure
>>pad (and I can't see anyway of getting around walking on it).  I need the
>>key for the second of two doors at the other end of the hallway (I already
>>had a key for the first door).
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>George
>
> 	Try placing something on the ground in the blue haze while standing
> infront of the gate.
>

> 	I could, also,  do with some help on this level if at all possible.
> There are three trouble spots for me. If I can sort out one of them out, the
> others may sort them selves out.
>
> 	1) How do you get passed the 'Test Your Strength' message.

          See who is your strongest character. Get it throw something
          light. I put a throwing star in the right hand and chucked
          that. This operates a pad and opens a gate which one accessef
         from the other side. At the end of the corridor is abutton
         which opens a door allowing you back to get the bow, gem, coin
         from the first room.

> 	2) The gate that is just alittle further on but has no apparent
> 	   key hole or switch

           See above.

>     and 3) The key to the double doors just after the gate in 2.

      	 Ill have to look that up. cant remember offhand.

> If you can help with anyone of these three I would be greatful.
>
> 	I have actually made it down to the level that needs the (ir?) key
> to enter, but can't find the key so I hope the answers to the above will
> help.
  well level 7 is next but you need three more Ra keys apart from the
  one you already have (from level 3) inorder to get the firestaff. The
  next ra key is in level 9 with the bastard rats in it. You should
  be able to do 6 level fireballs by now. I have one double master
  wizard at level 9.

  See ya,