[rec.games.misc] DM1: Poison Trap **SPOILER**

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/13/91)

In article <6732@ecs.soton.ac.uk>, pjb89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (pj Boniface) writes:
> In <4473@syma.sussex.ac.uk> johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:
>

>>In Dungeon Master 1 there is a room at the end of which is a diamond
>>edged sword in an alcove. As soon as you try and depart with it
>>the room fills with poison gas. The best I have done (even with dropping
>>everything) is to loose one character. I assume there are other
>>solutions to this. What are they ???
>
>>              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)
>
> There is an easier solution, yes. Instead of grabbing the sword and
> running, just stay where you are. The first cloud will wear out, and you
> should still be alive. Cure up if you want to. Then, step forward one
> square, then back again. This will set off the next cloud, but you won't
> be in it. As they only trigger once each, you can repeat this down the
> corridor - set off the next could, then back out of it.
>
> Peter.

Naturally, there is one solution that is so easy it's almost
ridiculous - but I'l tell it to you all anyway. Pick up the sword,
turn around, AND THROW IT. A moment after you throw it, step forward
out of the cloud, walk up to the sword, pick it up, and repeat the
process. You should take no more than ten or twenty points from the
initial blast of poison, and you're out in moments, instead of waiting
for gas clouds to disperse. I can't believe I'm the only person who
ever figured this out...
-------(please include "DY" in subj header of mail to this user)--------
Doug "Speaker-To-Insects" Yanega      "UT!"       Bitnet: KUENTO@UKANVAX
My card: 0 The Fool       (Snow Museum, Univ. of KS, Lawrence, KS 66045)
"I'll employ my resources to make your puny lives miserable! I'll crush
your pitiful dreams and ambitions like bugs in the dust!" - Calvin