[rec.games.misc] Infocom games information

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/25/91)

Regarding the tip that was posted about converting OLD versions of
Macintosh Infocom games to "new" versions using ResEdit:  It works great
in most cases -- the only notable exception being "A Mind Forever Voyaging."
That one seems to be quite different in game structure from the regular
text games.  Now all my old games (with the exception of "AMFV") can save
to HFS volumes and work properly on my IIcx.  They still have the
"About Box" problem if the screen is in color, but otherwise they work great.

Now I have this question:  Does anyone have a list of the actual "creator"
types for all the games?  The "creator" is a 4 letter or digit code that
allows files to be associated with their application, so they can be
properly recognized and launched by the finder.

For example Zork I (the new version) has the creator of "INZ1", Zork II's
creator is "INZ2", etc.  I have quite a few of their old games that I played
on my 512K (unenhanced) instead of on my IIcx.  I have now upgraded them to
play correctly on my IIcx, but I had to make up creator types for them.  If
anyone has (or could get) a list of the real creator types for the various
Infocom games, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--

sean@visix.com (Sean E. Trowbridge) (02/26/91)

In article <354@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM>,
dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:
> Now I have this question:  Does anyone have a list of the actual
> "creator" types for all the games?
>
> For example Zork I (the new version) has the creator of "INZ1",
> Zork II's creator is "INZ2", etc.

All of the creator types ar INxy, where x is a letter correspoding
to the "series", and y is the number of the game in the series.
The letters (as I remember them) are:
   Z:   Zork, Enchanter, etc.
   A:   Adventure games:  Infidel, etc.
   S:   Science Fiction:  Starcross, etc.
   M:   Mystery:  Witness, etc.

I think there's another one; I can't remember what it is. (I?)

As for mapping the correct number to the correct game, the code
should be on the outside of the game box. (On the "Macintosh"
sticker, I believe.)

P.S.  Be sure to change the file type of the save files from
"ZSAV" to "ZSxy" as well (where x & y are as above.)

--
Name: Sean Trowbridge  Job:Software Engineer   Quote: "Moo."
Employer: Visix Software Inc.                      Bessie.

jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Doctor FORTRAN) (02/27/91)

-
-For example Zork I (the new version) has the creator of "INZ1", Zork II's
-creator is "INZ2", etc.  I have quite a few of their old games that I played
-on my 512K (unenhanced) instead of on my IIcx.  I have now upgraded them to
-play correctly on my IIcx, but I had to make up creator types for them.  If
-anyone has (or could get) a list of the real creator types for the various
-Infocom games, I would appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't have a list of the creators for any of the games. _You_ should
have this information already. With ResEdit, open the BNDL resource. (Usually
there will be only one of them.) With few exceptions, the listed "Owner" of
the BNDL is the creator. (If it isn't, having the correct creator might not
help much, anyway.)

Now, of course, you should be working from a copy of your file. If your copy is
on an otherwise blank floppy, you can restore the application's icon, as well
as the icons from files generated by the program, by following these steps:
First, make sure that the Bundle flag is set. In ResEdit, select (but don't
open) the application (after you've made your changes). Get Info . . . the
application, and make sure the Bundle checkbox is checked. Click on OK, and
quit ResEdit (or go to Finder, if you're running Multifinder). Drag the disk
into the trash, and hold down the Command and Option keys as you re-insert the
floppy.

You'll get a dialog asking you if you want to rebuild the desktop file. Answer
yes, and, when the disk mounts the custom icon (rather than the generic one)
should be there. Now, try everything out, and after you're satisfied that
everything's ok, copy the application back to your main disk. There, the
Desktop file will be updated, not rebuilt (you usually wish to avoid rebuilding
the desktop file on a hard drive if you can avoid it).

Happy ResEditing!

C ==========================================================================

C === This subroutine will write a signature at the end of a posting.

      Subroutine Signature
      Write (*, 101)
  101 Format (1H1, 'Doctor FORTRAN', /, ' Master of the Realm', /,
     1            ' Reply: jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu')

      Return
      End

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.155736.10788@visix.com> sean@visix.com (Sean E. Trowbridge) writes:
>In article <354@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM>,
>dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:
>> Now I have this question:  Does anyone have a list of the actual
>> "creator" types for all the games?
>>
>> For example Zork I (the new version) has the creator of "INZ1",
>> Zork II's creator is "INZ2", etc.
>>

>All of the creator types ar INxy, where x is a letter correspoding
>to the "series", and y is the number of the game in the series.
>The letters (as I remember them) are:
>   Z:   Zork, Enchanter, etc.
>   A:   Adventure games:  Infidel, etc.
>   S:   Science Fiction:  Starcross, etc.
>   M:   Mystery:  Witness, etc.
>
>I think there's another one; I can't remember what it is. (I?)

Plus, I do know that the code for Wishbringer is INwG, and that for
Lurking Horror is INH1.  Those are two of the new games I actually have.

>As for mapping the correct number to the correct game, the code
>should be on the outside of the game box. (On the "Macintosh"
>sticker, I believe.)

Unfortunately, since most of my games are the OLD ones, the box doesn't
tell me very much in this circumstance.  Actually, if my games were new
enough to have this code, I wouldn't have to convert them in the first
place. :-)

>P.S.  Be sure to change the file type of the save files from
>"ZSAV" to "ZSxy" as well (where x & y are as above.)

Thanks, I eventually figured this one out by trial and error too.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.004838.19171@isc.rit.edu> jav8106@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>In article <354@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM>, dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM writes...
>
>-Now I have this question:  Does anyone have a list of the actual "creator"
>-types for all the games?  The "creator" is a 4 letter or digit code that
>-allows files to be associated with their application, so they can be
>-properly recognized and launched by the finder.
>-
>-For example Zork I (the new version) has the creator of "INZ1", Zork II's
>-creator is "INZ2", etc.  I have quite a few of their old games that I played
>-on my 512K (unenhanced) instead of on my IIcx.  I have now upgraded them to
>-play correctly on my IIcx, but I had to make up creator types for them.  If
>-anyone has (or could get) a list of the real creator types for the various
>-Infocom games, I would appreciate it.
>
>Sorry, I don't have a list of the creators for any of the games. _You_ should
>have this information already. With ResEdit, open the BNDL resource. (Usually
>there will be only one of them.) With few exceptions, the listed "Owner" of
>the BNDL is the creator. (If it isn't, having the correct creator might not
>help much, anyway.)

The information is appreciated, but you should try following the entire thread
before you answer (no flames intended here).  I know perfectly well what the
creator type is on the versions of the Infocom games I have.  On EVERY single
one of their OLD versions, the CREATOR is INFO, thus disallowing the finder
from deciding properly which game to launch when a "save file" is double-
clicked.  However, the NEW versions of their games they have properly
distinguished the creator types for the games, as they should have done in the
first place.

Using a technique posted by a Mr. Trowbridge, the OLD versions can be "updated"
to the NEW versions by replacing the resources from an old game with those from
a NEW game, and properly modifying the BNDL and CODE resources.  However, to
properly update the BNDL and CODE resources, I need to know the creator types
for the NEW versions of their games.  This is because I don't own very many of
the new versions of their games.  Most of them I purchased long ago.  Since I
used a copy of Stationfall to update my old games, I don't have the creator
types for most of their new versions.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

sean@visix.com (Sean E. Trowbridge) (03/02/91)

I got a look at my Infocom disks, and here is a list of their creators.

NOTE: Some of these were guessed at by me earlier, so they may be wrong.

Wishbringer         INZ0
Zork I              INZ1
Zork II             INZ2
Zork III            INZ3
Enchanter           INZ4
Sorcerer            INZ5
Spellbreaker        INZ6
Trinity             INZ7
Beyond Zork         INZ8
Zork Zero           IN0Z

Deadline            INM1
Suspect             INM3
Moonmist            INm5   (Note small "m")
Sherlock            INM9

Starcross           INS1
Suspended           INS2
Planetfall          INS3
Hitchiker's Guide   INS4
A Mind Forever...   INS5
Stationfall         INS6

Infidel             INA1
Cutthroats          INA3
Hollywood Hijinx    INA4

Leather Goddesses   INc1   (Note small "c")
Bureaucracy         INC2
Nord and Bert       INC3

Lurking Horror      INH1

As for other games, you can interpolate.  (Note in general that the save
file type is formed by replacing the "IN" with "ZS".)

(P.S.  Anybody else find it odd that Trinity is considered part of the
Zork series?)

--
Sean Trowbridge
Visix Software Inc.