[rec.games.misc] looking for name of a game

rlw@IDA.ORG (Richard Wexelblat) (04/01/91)

In article <91090.130516ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET> ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
>I'd like to know the name of the following game. If anybody know it please
>send me a note.
>Two player write two sign ( O X ) on an infinite board. The goal is to make
>5 sign. The game is like tic-tac-toe but not 3 but 5 sign, and the board is
>not 3X3 but infinite.
>If you do not know the game but you like it let's play on E-mail.

Go-moku or Runjyu
-----------------
Another comment:  In 1961 I wrote a playing/learning program (based on
Samuel's Checker-learning method) for this game.  It (almost) ran on a
computer now known as UNIVAC I but then known a THE UNIVAC.

Does anyone have an earlier instance?
--
--Dick Wexelblat  (rlw@ida.org) 703 845 6601
  Can you accept an out of state sanity check?

karln@uunet.uu.net (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.130740.19670@IDA.ORG> rlw@IDA.ORG.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
>In article <91090.130516ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET> ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
>>I'd like to know the name of the following game. If anybody know it please
>>send me a note.
>>Two player write two sign ( O X ) on an infinite board. The goal is to make
>>5 sign. The game is like tic-tac-toe but not 3 but 5 sign, and the board is
>>not 3X3 but infinite.
>>If you do not know the game but you like it let's play on E-mail.
>
>Go-moku or Runjyu
>-----------------
>Another comment:  In 1961 I wrote a playing/learning program (based on
>Samuel's Checker-learning method) for this game.  It (almost) ran on a
>computer now known as UNIVAC I but then known a THE UNIVAC.
>
>Does anyone have an earlier instance?

	I thought you could buy a board game with those rules called 'PENTA'

	Karl

	karln!karln@uunet.uu.net

ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET (04/03/91)

I have received a mail from someone at uiansmx:

>I know this game ...sure, lets play.
>I know Go too.

OK but I couldn't send you any mail because I couldn't not figure out your
address.

pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) (04/05/91)

karln@uunet.uu.net writes:

>In article <1991Apr1.130740.19670@IDA.ORG> rlw@IDA.ORG.UUCP (Richard Wexelblat) writes:
>>In article <91090.130516ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET> ASNXS@ASUACAD.BITNET writes:
>>>I'd like to know the name of the following game. If anybody know it please
>>>send me a note.
>>>Two player write two sign ( O X ) on an infinite board. The goal is to make
>>>5 sign. The game is like tic-tac-toe but not 3 but 5 sign, and the board is
>>>not 3X3 but infinite.
>>>If you do not know the game but you like it let's play on E-mail.
>>
>>Go-moku or Runjyu
>>Another comment:  In 1961 I wrote a playing/learning program (based on
>>Samuel's Checker-learning method) for this game.  It (almost) ran on a
>>computer now known as UNIVAC I but then known a THE UNIVAC.
>>
>>Does anyone have an earlier instance?

>	I thought you could buy a board game with those rules called 'PENTA'

"PENTE" is what you are thinking of.  The game goes back to ancient Greece.
--
		  "Why can't I be you?" - Robert Smith
		  "Why can't he be you?" - Patsy Cline