[rec.games.misc] Eye of the Beholder

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (05/10/91)

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of maps for Eye of the Beholder that quite a few people
have asked me for.  It is my intention to post the to this group
(rec.games.misc), possibly breaking them up and posting one or two per
day (so as not to flood the network at once :).

My problem is that they are in tgif format (the X11 drawing tool).  I was
going to save them as XBM files and then convert them to GIF files that I
could uuencode and post.  However, the unfortunate thing is, tgif's
printing to xbm files doesn't work properly.  It truncates the file,
leaving off the botton two inches or so.

So, does anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can get these to
you ?  I thought of scanning printouts, but these come out HUGE (a couple
of Meg).  If I could convert them they would be much smaller.  Does anyone
have a patch that will fix the XBM problem.  Are there enough people out
there with tgif to warant sending the tgif files (I doubt it, but I don't
know).

One option that comes to mind is to send out compressed raw postscript
files, or as encapsulated postscript files.  Both compress to about 35K
per file with lharc, about 50K for unix compress.  Is this a reasonable
option ?

ant

--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team

william@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (William Cheng) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.070158.11795@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
>Hi guys,
>
>I have a bunch of maps for Eye of the Beholder that quite a few people
>have asked me for.  It is my intention to post the to this group
>(rec.games.misc), possibly breaking them up and posting one or two per
>day (so as not to flood the network at once :).
>
>My problem is that they are in tgif format (the X11 drawing tool).  I was
>going to save them as XBM files and then convert them to GIF files that I
>could uuencode and post.  However, the unfortunate thing is, tgif's
>printing to xbm files doesn't work properly.  It truncates the file,
>leaving off the botton two inches or so.

The bug you are referring to should have been fix in version 2.3
of tgif.  The current version of tgif on export.lcs.mit.edu is
2.5; it should also work.
--
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (05/17/91)

In article <726@digigw.digital.co.jp>, manjit@digigw.digital.co.jp (Manjit Bedi)
writes:
> Does anyone know when Eye of the Beholder by SSI will be released?
>  I say they would which claimed it was a new dimension in
> RPG or something like that.

It is just a copy of dungeon master. Apparently SSI stole the whole game
mechanics from FTL, and got good review from the IBM press since they apparently
are better known in the IBM world than FTL. I am against copyrights on
user-interfaces, but SSI lies makes me sick.

The REAL innovators are FTL. Play Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back to see
what EoB is. DM & CSB makes full use of the amiga (you can track monsters by
listening to stereophonic noises, no disc access, even between levels!!!). Too
bad Sundog wasn't ported to the amiga (or was it?). SSI has made really crappy
software before, FTL have produced ONLY true masterpieces.

I don't mean EoB is crappy, only all good things in it comes from FTL, not SSI.

Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/19/91)

[]
>> Colas Nahaboo states that EOB is a clone of DM

Well, it is true that Eye of the Beholder plays a LOT like Dungeon Master
and Chaos Strikes back, but EOB is MUCH MUCH improved, as a program, and
graphically and sonically.  But you are quite correct, the innovative
interface is a copy of Dm & CSB.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

dower@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Dower) (05/19/91)

	Well, granted it is a DM type ripoff, but admittadly the game was done
well. But I encountered a few problems running on a base line A2000. It slows
down real nice when you fight big monsters like spiders, also these are cute
bugs, did you know that when all your characters get knocked out they can still
move... Also if a party member is dying from poison and just happens to get
killed by something else before the poison gets to him he  still dies from
poison. Basically he turns into a dead pile of bones which still feels the
effects of poison. And it keeps reminding you it does....

l8r...
dower@ritcsh.rit.edu

oh, I think they really could have done a better job with the sound, I mean
the IBM version w a sound blaster sounds incredible...

root@amber.north.de (Chr. Schlittchen) (05/20/91)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:

>>> Colas Nahaboo states that EOB is a clone of DM
>Well, it is true that Eye of the Beholder plays a LOT like Dungeon Master
>and Chaos Strikes back, but EOB is MUCH MUCH improved, as a program, and
>graphically and sonically.

You must be joking. Where are all the little features which make DM/CSB
so nice to play ? ( Like the destructable and destructive doors,
or the non-standard monsters ( like the black flames )).
The graphics weren't improved much, of course the 'backgroud', eg.
the dungeon walls are more detailed, but please compare a fireball
in DM and EOB.

EOB is a rather good game, but it isn't a real classic like DM.
--
Christian Schlittchen
	( root@amber.north.de / j05j@sie.rz.uni-bremen.de )

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/22/91)

[]
EOB installs on a hard disk, is 2.0X compatible and runs just fine on
the A3000.  This makes it a MUCH better program, technically in my
nbook than DM or CSB (DM does not work on the A3000, I don't think,
and CSB is not 2.0X compatible last I checked, in either case they
run only off of floppies).
CSB and DM are much bigger games, and better adventures overall, since
EOB is so short.  But I love the rules in Eye and I prefer the graphics
in Eye as well.

hotline@dorsai (Anthony Palestrini) (05/30/91)

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

> In article <726@digigw.digital.co.jp>, manjit@digigw.digital.co.jp (Manjit Be
> writes:
> > Does anyone know when Eye of the Beholder by SSI will be released?
> >  I say they would which claimed it was a new dimension in
> > RPG or something like that.
>
> It is just a copy of dungeon master. Apparently SSI stole the whole game
> mechanics from FTL, and got good review from the IBM press since they apparen
> are better known in the IBM world than FTL. I am against copyrights on
> user-interfaces, but SSI lies makes me sick.
>
> The REAL innovators are FTL. Play Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back to se
> what EoB is. DM & CSB makes full use of the amiga (you can track monsters by
> listening to stereophonic noises, no disc access, even between levels!!!). To
> bad Sundog wasn't ported to the amiga (or was it?). SSI has made really crapp
> software before, FTL have produced ONLY true masterpieces.
>
> I don't mean EoB is crappy, only all good things in it comes from FTL, not SS
>
> Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
> Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANC

Ahem. You are truely wrong there, FTL only make 2 of these such
masterpieces. SSI has many many many masterpieces, such as their AD&D
Interfaces (Pool Of Radiance, Curse Of The Azure Bonds,etc.) Not to mention
their war games and simulations. (Dragonstrike!, Renegade Legion
Interceptor,etc..) Now I'm not putting down FTL, I finished both DM and CSB
and loved both, but they are now no longer up the standards. Both DM and CSB
lacked different backgrounds, friendly people, NPCs, talking,etc. EOB
included all that plus many new features (the Inventory screen is much
neater, and you can walk around while in the inventory screen!), the spell
system is alot easier than all those runes (though you get used to them but
they are hard to learn at first), plus alot more things. Dont put down SSI
because it happens to be a great company!

As for the IBM version of EOB, I think the amiga kicks it away!