[comp.sys.dec] MS-DOS Versions

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (12/11/86)

In article <1793@ncoast.UUCP> wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
>> Article <174200005@uiucuxc> From: karamich@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
>| No version of DOS on the market (MS or PC) that i know of will allow >640K.
>DEC Rainbows running MS-DOS have up to 896k of RAM.

   Go Rainbows!... :-)

   Here's an example... Using the Jay Jervey CHKMEM program:

CHKMEM V1.0 (c) 1985 by Jay Jervey

917,504 = 896K bytes total system memory
262,144 = 256K bytes allocated to RAM disk
 51,344 =  51K bytes occupied program space
604,016 = 589K bytes free program space from 307K to 896K

   AND, on top of the 896K, you have 8K RAM for screen memory, ~56K for ROMs
and non-volatile RAM, and a ~64K gap with nothing in it (could have been
filled if DEC or someone made a bigger RAM board)...all of this memory
is addressable (except the gap, of course).

   And, to top it off, there is another 32K of indirectly-addressable RAM
dedicated to the graphics board.  It's off the main bus and this can be
an advantage or a disadvantage depending on the application.  I think the
main reason for this was to allow CP/M-80 applications to access the
graphics board which was above the 64K boundary.

   Just puttin' my two cents in...

   Alan

                                   alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   Prism Software Designs,   646-1 University Avenue
   Rochester, New York, 14607-1232    (716)-461-2446
   Greater Rochester Area Local Users Group (GRALUG)
   Vice-Chairman      Rainbow Special Interest Forum