[comp.sys.dec] DEC LSI 11/2

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) (12/14/86)

	At work (WCFC-TV) we have a DEC LSI-11 computer which is not
being used at the moment.  It is part of a video tape editing system
which is known as the MACH 1 originally made by Bosch-Fernseh.  The
system is no longer in use.  Can the LSI-11 be used for more generic
tasks such as word-processing, etc.  What software will we need?
Hardware changes, etc. ???

					Thanks,
						Rich Andrews

Any opinions expressed above are my own.        Rich Andrews
 They can be yours too.  Please send $19.95 to.....ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

jc@piaget.UUCP (John Cornelius) (12/24/86)

In article <873@chinet.UUCP> cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) writes:

>	At work (WCFC-TV) we have a DEC LSI-11 computer which is not
>being used at the moment.  It is part of a video tape editing system
>which is known as the MACH 1 originally made by Bosch-Fernseh.  The
>system is no longer in use.  Can the LSI-11 be used for more generic
>tasks such as word-processing, etc.  What software will we need?
>Hardware changes, etc. ???
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay!  First you open up the box that has the LSI-11 in it.
Somehow find a volume about 18"X14"X7".  Fill that volume with a
PC Clone.  Go to computer store and buy two or three word
processors you like, they will be (taken together) about 1/2 the
price of anything you'll get for the LSI-11.  Replace the console
terminal with the console screen and keyboard of the clone.  Call
it an enhancement of the LSI-11 system.

If you cannot find a suitable volume inside the LSI-11 box,
remove everything from the box. You won't be needing it anyway.
If that's not practical, put the enhancement box alongside the
box containing the LSI-11.

The LSI-11 was wonderful in its time but its time was 10 years
ago. Peripherals and programs for it are expensive and
maintenance is more expensive than you want to think about.

--
John Cornelius
(...!sdcsvax!piaget!jc)