[comp.sys.dec] DEC font file format

ins_bjl@jhunix.UUCP (John R. Lindner) (01/22/87)

	I need to download fonts to the DEC LN03 laser printer.  The manual
list the command for doing this, but it doesn't list the format the fonts must
be in to download them, it only states that they must be in DEC font file
format, and then converted to sixels.  Converting to sixels is covered in the
manual, but could anyone tell me what the font file format looks like?

		Thanks
		John Lindner

allegra!hopkins /
seismo!umcp-cs  | !jhunix!ins_bjl
ihnp4!whuxcc    \
   or
ARPAnet: lindner@hopkins.ARPA

robert@Jimi.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <4313@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjl@jhunix.UUCP (John R. Lindner) writes:

>	I need to download fonts to the DEC LN03 laser printer.  The manual
>list the command for doing this, but it doesn't list the format the fonts must
>be in to download them, it only states that they must be in DEC font file
>format, and then converted to sixels.  Converting to sixels is covered in the
>manual, but could anyone tell me what the font file format looks like?

The dvi2n3 program does this, you could look at it, it comes with the the
vms tex dist.  Here is an earlier posting from system@crnlns.bitnet telling
how to get the documentation for DECFFF

					--robert

CSNET:   robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:    {sdcrdcf,ihnp4}!otto!jimi!robert
         seismo!unrvax!tahoe!jimi!robert

I got very few responses to my request for information about DEC's
font file format, which is used in the LN03 family of printers.
Evidently DEC is keeping the existance of their "public" font file
standard rather private.

For those who may need this information, I leaned from John Lavagnino
of Brandeis that the manual is

_Font File Format Users Manual_
order number EK-CFFFM-UG-001

It is available from DEC Direct with 30 day delivery for $20 per copy.

Thanks, John!

Selden Ball
system@crnlns.bitnet