[comp.sys.dec] Upgrading LA-36's

larry@kitty.UUCP (02/06/87)

	We have four LA-36's that are ~7 years old and in good condition.
They are presently not being used because they are too slow for any current
application.
	I understand that there is an upgrade to 120 cps for a LA-36; can
anyone confirm this and provide further details?  Is it economically feasible?
	I suspect that the cost of such an upgrade - if still available - is
probably a poor investment, but I would like to find out for certain before I
consider trashing the LA-36's.
	I tried calling DEC, but the local salesperson didn't know anything
about it, and never got back to me with further details.  Since we no longer
OEM any DEC processors, I guess we don't rate any attention from them any
more. :-)

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|boulder|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}    "Have you hugged your cat today?"

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <1580@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	We have four LA-36's that are ~7 years old and in good condition.
>They are presently not being used because they are too slow for any current
>application.
>	I understand that there is an upgrade to 120 cps for a LA-36; can
>anyone confirm this and provide further details?  Is it economically feasible?

Last time I checked, DataSouth was still selling a 120cps upgrade board for
the LA36.  The only problem is that the price is about twice what you would
pay for a refurbished LA120!  I've heard mixed reviews about the board, but
never played with one long enough to form an opinion.

LA36's still make good console terminals for Unix systems - much better
than letting those nasty error messages zip off the top of the screen...