[comp.sys.dec] UNIX to VMS via DECNET

allen@gitpyr.UUCP (02/03/87)

I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC micro-Vax
running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.  The candidate UNIX
systems are: SUN-3/160, APOLLO DN660, MASSCOMP MC5500, IBM RT-PC.
All of the systems have ethernet.  The solution must be software
only as I need it by tomorrow.  ANYTHING that can move files will be OK
even if it is just an experiment you have been working on and even if
it does not work perfectly.  I am only moving TEXT files (LN03 print files).
Any quick response would be GREATLY APPRETIATED.  Please do not reply to
this message after Feb. 5, 1987.

Thanks

P. Allen Jensen
--
P. Allen Jensen
Manager, Systems Division - GTICES Systems Laboratory

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <3019@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> allen@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC
>micro-Vax running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.

Forget about DECnet.

>The candidate UNIX systems are: SUN-3/160, APOLLO DN660, MASSCOMP
>MC5500, IBM RT-PC.

All of the systems have serial lines.

>All of the systems have ethernet.

Forget about it.  See above.

>The solution must be software only as I need it by tomorrow.

Bit of a deadline, huh?  Sounds like how much warning our faculty
gives us sometimes :-)

>ANYTHING that can move files will be OK even if it is just an
>experiment you have been working on and even if it does not work
>perfectly.

Get copies of Kermit for VMS (either C or Bliss/Macro) and for UNIX
(C); compile them, string a terminal cable betwixt the machines in
question, and away you go.  It's software-only, free, and widely
available.  You can get it via FTP or Bitnet from Cornell or via UUCP
from okstate.  Somebody local to you probably has it already.  It even
works, being quite mature, non-experimental, and well-debugged.

>Thanks
>
>P. Allen Jensen

You're quite welcome.  I hope you get your answer in time.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

egisin@watmath.UUCP (02/05/87)

This may get to you too late, but instead of kermit
you could use tip (or cu) on Unix over a serial line to VMS.
LN03 files will not contain strange control characters.
If you are going from Unix to VMS you have to
the set terminal you log in to on VMS to "/perm /altypahd".

gordon@cae780.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <3056@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|In article <3019@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> allen@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
|>I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC
|>micro-Vax running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.
|
|Forget about DECnet.
|
|>The candidate UNIX systems are: SUN-3/160, APOLLO DN660, MASSCOMP
|>MC5500, IBM RT-PC.
|
|All of the systems have serial lines.
|
|>All of the systems have ethernet.
|
|Forget about it.  See above.

A non sequitor.  We use the Ethernet hardware for communications between our
VMS and unix machines constantly, using both ftp and telnet.  There are
more than one source of VMS versions of them.  I doubt that there are VMS
protocols available under unix (except that Vaxen running Ultrix can speak
both DECnet and ftp/telnet and act as relays) since the protocols are

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!cae780!gordon [or gordon@cae780.CAE.TEK.COM]
proprietary, but ftp/telnet under VMS is quite possible.

cdash@boulder.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <3056@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <3019@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> allen@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>>I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC
>>micro-Vax running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.
>
>Forget about DECnet.

from vax to sun is (for us) easy
type in: telnet | tee savefile
then   : open grumpy (the terminal server name for our vax running vms)
then   : log in and type the file and log out
then   : edit savefile to remove the extrania

the other way is harder. What would be nice is to have our kermit connect to
telnet, but nobody here has figured out how to do that. We go the other way by
kermitting from the sun to a small pc and then kermitting from the small pc to
the vax.

stew@hanauma.UUCP (02/07/87)

>>> ... but we don't know how to connect kermit to telnet ... <<<

If you have pseudo-tty's, i.e. running BSD 4.2 or a derivative, you can
connect to telnet.  The overall sequence is:

	1) point "getty" at the slave end of a pty to enable logins
	   through the pty line.
	2) point kermit at the master end of the pty and use the "connect"
	   subcommand to get a login: prompt.
	3) login and telnet to whatever machine you want to talk to.
	4) now you can start kermit on the other machine (usually as a server),
	   escape back to your local kermit and send or receive files at will.

On our Convex C-1 I use

	#! /bin/sh
	on ttyp9  # enables getty on pty 9
	kermit -l /dev/ptyp9 -b 2400
	off ttyp9 # disables getty on pty 9

(I also have a startup script for kermit to do the autlogin sequence but
that's a can of worms you're best off avoiding.)

			(UUCP) ... decvax!hanauma!stew
			(ARPA) ... na.levin@su-score.arpa

campbell@maynard.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <3423@cae780.TEK.COM> gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) writes:
>                                           ... I doubt that there are VMS
>protocols available under unix (except that Vaxen running Ultrix can speak
>both DECnet and ftp/telnet and act as relays) since the protocols are
>proprietary, but ftp/telnet under VMS is quite possible.

Wrong - the DECnet protocols are not proprietary.  They are publicly
available, and anyone is free to use them to implement DECnet.  A local
company called Technology Concepts, Inc. (TCI) does that for a living.
Their DECnet product is called CommUNITY;  Sun just licensed it.  TCI
was recently purchased by Bell Atlantic, so you'll probably be hearing
a lot more about their products now that they're stuffed with Phone Company
cash.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109