[comp.sys.dec] Percentage of VAXs running some form of UNIX compared to VMS?

cracraft@sonia.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <473@bcsaic.UUCP> djd@bcsaic.UUCP (Dennis J. Doherty) writes:
>I was wondering if any person out there has a guess (or real data) on
>the percent of VAXs that are running UNIX (Ultrix, 4.x, System V, ?)
>as compared to VMS??

I believe the figures I heard were 10% Unix, 90% VMS.

    Stuart

tomlin@hc.UUCP (03/04/87)

Just read something on that on the way to work today:
Not complete data at all but a study by Computer Intelligence of La Jolla, CA.
says that 11% of 11/750s and 8% of uVAX IIs run UNIX.  You may be able to
get the full scoop from them if you really care.
				-- bob
--
Bob Tomlinson -- tomlin@hc.dspo.gov  --  (505) 667-8495
Los Alamos National Laboratory  --  MEE-10/Data Systems

montnaro@sprite.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <4795@shemp.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> cracraft@sonia.UUCP (Stuart M. Cracraft) writes:
>In article <473@bcsaic.UUCP> djd@bcsaic.UUCP (Dennis J. Doherty) writes:
>>I was wondering if any person out there has a guess (or real data) on
>>the percent of VAXs that are running UNIX (Ultrix, 4.x, System V, ?)
>>as compared to VMS??
>>

>I believe the figures I heard were 10% Unix, 90% VMS.

Stuart's numbers may reflect the current installed base, however, just last
week, our DEC sales crew told me that approximately half the VAXes DEC sells
are shipped with Ultrix.

Skip
-
ARPA: montanaro%desdemona.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
UUCP: seismo!rochester!steinmetz!desdemona!montanaro
GE DECnet: csbvax::mrgate!montanaro@desdemona@smtp@tcpgateway

jsloan@wright.UUCP (03/05/87)

in article <4795@shemp.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU>, cracraft@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Stuart M. Cracraft) says:
> In article <473@bcsaic.UUCP> djd@bcsaic.UUCP (Dennis J. Doherty) writes:
>>I was wondering if any person out there has a guess (or real data) on
>>the percent of VAXs that are running UNIX (Ultrix, 4.x, System V, ?)
>>as compared to VMS??
> I believe the figures I heard were 10% Unix, 90% VMS.

I heard DEC quote the 10/90 ratio at the new product announcement in
February. I have also read in one of the DEC-oriented trade magazines
that if you take PDP-11s into account (PDP-11+VAX) the percentage is
more like 45% UNIX, 55% DEC operating system (RSX, RT, VMS, etc.) Don't
know how reliable these numbers are, but the trade magazines require
this type of information to be supplied for a free subscription, so it
may at least reflect the tastes of the readership of such magazines
(which is kind of suprising, to me anyway).
--
John Sloan  CSNET: jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan
Computer Science Department, Wright State University, Dayton OH, 45435

barr@calma.UUCP (Ken Barr) (03/06/87)

>>>I was wondering if any person out there has a guess (or real data) on
>>>the percent of VAXs that are running UNIX (Ultrix, 4.x, System V, ?)
>>>as compared to VMS??
>>
>>I believe the figures I heard were 10% Unix, 90% VMS.

	[more numbers deleted]

At DEC'S FAD (Field Announcement Day) in Santa Clara yesterday, David M.
Plumer of DEC's Central Engineering organization claimed that 25% of all
installed VAXen run "some kind of UNIX", with 50% of them running Ultrix.

SO, if 12.5% of DEC's *installed base* is running Ultrix, you gotta figure
that the past two years shipments have been in the 50%-50% VMS/Ultrix range.

Would be nice if someone from DEC Engr/Support could add some genuine
numbers to this discussion ...
--

Ken Barr		{ucbvax,sun,csd-gould}!calma!barr
Calma Company		calma!barr@ucbvax.ARPA

Disclaimer:  Calma lets me use their computers and their mailstops.  Unless
	     policy has changed, my opinions should not be considered as gospel.