[comp.sys.dec] remote device/temperature monitoring

preis@bc-cis.UUCP (David Preisler) (03/18/87)

This morning to my horror I walked into the machine room ( vax 11/780 )
and I found Air Cooling Unit 2 off!!!   Half of our cooling power was gone!!!
			ARGH!!!  :-(

I immediately turned it on, and sent my bosses the following letter:

> To: arnow, raanan, sigal
> Subject: ac unit 2 found off
> --text follows this line--
>
> This Morning ~11:20 I found ac unit 2 in the off position.
> It could have been shut off intentionally, or it could have been a breaker.
>
> We could monitor both ac units and the air temp by remote monitors logged in
> via a direct connect terminal line that would constantly report on ac and/or
> temp status and flag users if something goes wrong...
>		( Cost? cost? Who said that! )
>
>	thanks, preis

Does any one out there in network land know of any company that manufactures
any type of hardware that can monitor outside events ( such as temperature )
that could be plugged in as an ordinary terminal for optimum flexibility and
ease of maintenance ( and programming ).

It might make a good Circuit Cellar project ( BYTE ).

				Thanks,

				David William Preisler
				Assistant System Administrator
phone: (718) 996-7375 (h)