[comp.sys.dec] Help: PRO-350 / PDP 11-23

ch@well.UUCP (Chris Hayes) (03/23/87)

{}

	Hello,

I have an enhanced PDP 11-23 (actually a PRO-350), and I need advice about
getting software for it.

The operating system I have for it is P/OS, which is a derivative of
RSX-11M-Plus.  As a result, I can run either P/OS tasks, or RSX ones with
certain limitations.

What I'm looking for is software that will let me program the machine,
or advice about where to look for it.  (Buying from DEC is probably not a
consideration.)

1)	Is it possible to use the DECUS C compiler with this machine?
	Does DECUS (or anyone else) have a task-builder I can use?

2)	Is there anyone on the net that either has public domain RSX / POS
	software I can have, or who has software for this machine that
	they are willing to sell or trade?

3)	Since this is a PDP-11, I should be able to run other operating
	systems / software than P/OS, what is available in this area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--
	Chris Hayes
			UUCP: ucbvax!dual!well!ch

spf@clyde.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <2811@well.UUCP> ch@well.UUCP (Chris Hayes) writes:
>I have an enhanced PDP 11-23 (actually a PRO-350), and I need advice about
>getting software for it.
>The operating system I have for it is P/OS, which is a derivative of
>RSX-11M-Plus.  As a result, I can run either P/OS tasks, or RSX ones with
>certain limitations.

I think P/OS *IS* RSX; the P/OS "Toolkit" merely gives you DCL access to it.

>1)	Is it possible to use the DECUS C compiler with this machine?
>	Does DECUS (or anyone else) have a task-builder I can use?

I have Whitesmith's C compiler and DEC's Pascal compiler.  For the
informal programs I wrote, the Pascal produced code that was about
the same size but about 50% faster.  So I only use Pascal...

>2)	Is there anyone on the net that either has public domain RSX / POS
>	software I can have, or who has software for this machine that
>	they are willing to sell or trade?
>
>3)	Since this is a PDP-11, I should be able to run other operating
>	systems / software than P/OS, what is available in this area?

You can get RT-11 from DEC, Venix from VentureCom, and TSX from
whoever it is that you can get TSX from (oh well).
Of these, I've only used Venix (I run P/OS on mine because I need
the real-time multiprocessing features that RSX offers).  Venix is
passable Unix, and claims to have real-time support in the kernel
(pre-emptable processes, asynch I/O, 1/60 second sleep increments,
etc), though I've never tested these.  Trouble is, it'll run you
about a grand.

I got my PRO-350 on the cheap, since I'm a professional part-time
grad student at Stevens (I'm getting ready to finish my second
Masters - if I don't start another, I might lose the cheap maintenance
contract!).  Sometimes I'm tempted to upgrade to a 380, or get a
bigger hard disk (I have 10Meg), or get Venix, or all three.  But
then I remember that the PRO series has been abandoned, and that
only weirdos like me get nostalgic about PDP-11s, so I drag my feet
about spending the money.  All the software I got came with the
machine (more or less - it's amazing what gets passed around
college campuses these days).  And when RSX-11 was *CURRENT*
the phrase "public-domain" had not been coined with respect to
computing.  So good luck!  And by all means,
	 LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND!!!!!

Steve Frysinger
201/386-7010

rob@briar.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <7683@clyde.ATT.COM> you write:
>In article <2811@well.UUCP> ch@well.UUCP (Chris Hayes) writes:
>
>I think P/OS *IS* RSX; the P/OS "Toolkit" merely gives you DCL access to it.

P/OS is a HACKED down version of RSX-11m+ (AR-ESS-ECHS-ELEVEN-M-PLUS, what
a mouthful).  Toolkit is basically the 'developement' environment.  It
has everything RSX hackers need to program--Macro-11.  Wimpy programming
languages are extra.

>>	Is it possible to use the DECUS C compiler with this machine?
>>	Does DECUS (or anyone else) have a task-builder I can use?

Yes, the DECUS C compiler will run on the machine.  Be forwarned,
it is written in assembly, and ain't all that great.

I think decus has a task builder, not sure though.

>I have Whitesmith's C compiler and DEC's Pascal compiler.  For the
>informal programs I wrote, the Pascal produced code that was about
>the same size but about 50% faster.  So I only use Pascal...

You have alot of patience, compiles and especially links take forever
on the PRO.  Instead of being mostly memory based, it is constantly
reading and writing from the disk (which is slow in itself).

>>2)	Is there anyone on the net that either has public domain RSX / POS
>>	software I can have, or who has software for this machine that
>>	they are willing to sell or trade?

decus.

>>3)	Since this is a PDP-11, I should be able to run other operating
>>	systems / software than P/OS, what is available in this area?

There is a port of 2.9bsd floating around somewhere for the PRO.
It's slow also, The entire distribution won't fit on a 10Meg disk
though.

rob
--
       william robertson			philabs!rob@seismo.css.gov
	 (914)  945-6300			philabs!rob.uucp

		"indecision is the key to flexibility"

paul@vcvax1.UUCP (03/24/87)

> I have an enhanced PDP 11-23 (actually a PRO-350), and I need advice about
> getting software for it ...
> Since this is a PDP-11, I should be able to run other operating
> systems / software than P/OS, what is available in this area?
>
> 	Chris Hayes

If your PRO 350 has an RD51 or RD52 disk, you could get
VENIX System V for it, which is VenturCom's port
of UNIX System V to the PRO.   It includes all the standard
System V compilers and utilities, as well as a few Berkeley tools.
For more info, contact:

	VenturCom, Inc.
	215 First Street
	Cambridge, MA 02142
	617/661-1230

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.
617/661-1230
{seismo!harvard,genrad!mit-eddie}!cybvax0!vcvax1!paul