[comp.sys.dec] The Parting Shot ...

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (04/29/87)

[.........................................................................]

   Well, Virginia, there really isn't a Santa Claus... Just a smiling,
   balding old man walking around in a red suit saying: "We Got You Now!"...

   We knew it was coming for a while so it's no big surprise.
   I just wish DEC would follow through on it's announcements and
   at least let the Rainbow die a dignified death.  But, NO!  They
   had to turn the screw on the thumbpegs further...no water on the
   dying lips...a slap in the face...and, then, "See ya! Hope you'll
   write!"...

   Following this is note a Rainbow/FIDO Echomail posting that I am putting
   on usenet for the purpose of information and for humor to those who
   always wanted to stick their two-cents worth in about the machine.
   Maybe, it's fair and just.  It's something like a gallant knight who
   rather die in battle than just a simple knight who'll leave the
   battlefield, go home, sit in front of the fire with a tankard of ale
   and pine his life away....naaa, I am stretching it a tad bit...

   The Rainbow is still a viable machine despite and inspite of the
   support from DEC.  There are NOW more computer journals and newsletters
   for the machine than before and you find nearly every piece of software
   or hardware you would ever need for the machine (albeit for a price).

   Disclaimer:  The information in the following posting has not been
   verified fully but it represents, in writing, what I've been hearing
   for months.  Even though it's coming out of the Nashville DECUS
   Symposium, it may or may not reflect the attitudes or desires of
   DECUS or Digital Equipment Corporation.  Also, my comments may or
   may not reflect those of DECUS or DEC.  I paid for my comments, I get to
   keep them!

   Alan

                                   alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:    {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   Prism Software Designs,     44 Arborwood Crescent
   Rochester, New York, 14615-3807,   (716)-458-4932
   Acting Chairman    Rainbow Special Interest Forum
   Greater Rochester Area Local Users Group (GRALUG)
   A DECUS Group

   transcription follows....

#115 6 27 Apr 87 21:35:37
From: Farley Flatco
To:   Bereaved Souls
Subj: Death of a Rainbow (A Play in No Acts)

DEC Confirms Rumors of No Pots of Gold at End of Rainbow

. . . . . . . . By Farley Flatco (Charlie Matco's Country Nephew)

Nashville, TN  (PNS) -- Today Digital Equipment Corporation brought an
end to the  fiction that the Rainbow is a viable computer.  Ron Gemma,
Digital's Product Manager for  the  Rainbow  (who  as you are about to
read is soon to be  out  of a job), announced that all ongoing product
development for the Rainbow line has  been  terminated effective April
15. [Editor's note: terminated "with extreme prejudice" ??]

Gemma  cited problems with their suppliers of  Ethernet  hardware  and
numerous delays imposed by MicroSoft as contributing factors  in their
decision  to  scrap  their  PCSA  Network Integration upgrade for  the
Rainbow  line,  but  indicated  that  the real issue was the  dramatic
falloff  in  Rainbow  orders  since  the  introduction  of  the widely
heralded VAXmate nyet-worked personal workstation.

Also pointed  out  in  the "de-announcement" was the obvious fact that
Digital will continue to support the software and hardware already out
there [Ed:  at  least  until they run out of boards or people who know
what a board looks like].

So those of you with  bootleg copies of 3.1 should consider having the
diskette bronzed.  It's a collector's  item.  Oh, that reminds me, the
reason stated for the failure to release  3.1  was  "many applications
that work under 2.11 broke under 3.1".   Rumor  has it that what we're
talking about is WordStar.  Hey, whoever you are  out  there,  go  run
WordStar  on an IMSAI.  This Pirate has found no  problems  whatsoever
with 3.1 that wouldn't be cured by a general release.

In summary:

 o Rainbows will no longer be sold as of June 30.
 o All Rainbow orders will be filled by December 31.
 o The Ethernet/Mouse board, whatever that is, won't be produced.
 o MS-DOS 3.10 will not be released for the Rainbow.
 o MS-Windows will not be released for the Rainbow.
 o Ron Gemma is now looking for some other potential corpse to plunder.

Finally, keep in mind the unofficial DEC slogan:  "Digital has it now,
you keep getting it in the end, User!"

---
 * Origin: Dealing from the bottom of the DEC (Opus 69/69)
SEEN-BY: 69/69 101/27 101/367 102/110 109/483 115/100 116/8 141/491
SEEN-BY: 260/223