[net.news.group] In Memory

yee@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter E. Yee) (01/30/86)

In article <975@burl.UUCP> wts@burl.UUCP (wts) writes:
>After all the previous discussion of the renaming of this newsgroup to something
>else, I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>January 28, 1986.
>
>					William T. Sykes
>					burl!wts

Let me add an emphatic ditto to that.  I have cross-posted this net.news.group
so the powers that be will see this.

					-Peter E. Yee
					..ucbvax!yee
					yee@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

cjsgro@watdragon.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (01/31/86)

In article <249@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:

>I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  My father was a test
>pilot, and knows the same feeling better than most of us.  He
>taught me to "learn from your mistakes; don't dwell on them."
>The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
>crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.
>
>One vote against.

And another, for the same reasons.

chapman@miro.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (02/01/86)

>>I now suggest that this newsgroup be renamed net.challenger in loving
>>memory of those seven who met their tragic end this the morning of
>>January 28, 1986.
>>					William T. Sykes
>>					burl!wts
>
>Let me add an emphatic ditto to that.
>					-Peter E. Yee
>					..ucbvax!yee
>					yee@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

I think this is very appropriate.  Add my name to the list of supporters
for renaming net.columbia to net.challenger.

					Brent Chapman
					ucbvax!miro!chapman
					chapman@miro.berkeley.edu

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (02/02/86)

In article <249@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>  [articles in support of changing net.columbia to net.challenger]
>I also feel a deep regret over this loss.  ....
>The best tribute we can pay to the memory of the Challenger
>crew is to perpetuate their own forward thinking.
>
>One vote against.

Another vote against.  As much as I am devastated by this, and as much
as I want them remembered, I would rather remember them in life, not
in death.  This is a very emotional issue, but we must retain a sense of
perspective.  Challenger's crew was the first, but probably not the last.

Does someone have the address of that private company that wanted to build
a shuttle?  I want to send them some money......
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

csw@ukc.ac.uk (C.S.Welch) (02/04/86)

I support the renaming of net.columbia to net.challenger.

                                           Ave atque vale, Challenger 51L,

                                                          Chris Welch.

werner@aecom.UUCP (02/08/86)

> > > ...and a third here.
> >
> > One vote against.
>
>   One more here against, for what it is worth.

	A third (and presumably more'th) against.  Honoring the fallen is one
thing, yes, but let us look forward, and hope that something like this never
happens again.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner