[comp.sys.dec] Why doesn't Ultrix allow "a" partitions to shrink?

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (05/21/87)

Ultrix uses a program called /etc/chpt to set/show the disk partition
tables (on ra81's, anyway).  Hidden away in the system administrator's
guide to disk partitioning is a note that:

	- a disk MUST have an "a" partition with a filesystem
	  on it (unless you want to use the default partition
	  tables built into the device driver)
	- you can always grow the "a" partition, but it MUST
	  begin at sector 0 and once set to a certain size, it
	  cannot be made smaller.

Why?

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (05/21/87)

I forgot to add that my system runs Ultrix 1.2

To expand a bit more, what if I make the "b" partition *partially* overlap
the "a" partition, and use /etc/newfs to build a 1-cylinder filesystem on
"a" and use "b" for swapping/paging -- am I asking for trouble?

Mike Khaw
--

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (06/02/87)

In article <12963@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) writes:
> Ultrix uses a program called /etc/chpt to set/show the disk partition
> tables (on ra81's, anyway).  Hidden away in the system administrator's
> guide to disk partitioning is a note that:
>
> 	- a disk MUST have an "a" partition with a filesystem
> 	  on it (unless you want to use the default partition
> 	  tables built into the device driver)
> 	- you can always grow the "a" partition, but it MUST
> 	  begin at sector 0 and once set to a certain size, it
> 	  cannot be made smaller.

One can also cheat and just use a 'c' partition.  This makes the whole pack
a single filesystem.  It seems that since the 'c' partition starts where the
'a' partition starts, it is properly handled.  Makes a mighty big partition,
though.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <903@apple.UUCP> ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:
]In article <12963@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) writes:
]> Ultrix uses a program called /etc/chpt to set/show the disk partition
]> tables (on ra81's, anyway).  Hidden away in the system administrator's
]> guide to disk partitioning is a note that:
]>
]
]One can also cheat and just use a 'c' partition.  This makes the whole pack
]a single filesystem.  It seems that since the 'c' partition starts where the
]'a' partition starts, it is properly handled.  Makes a mighty big partition,
]though.

What if I cheat and tell newfs that the "a" partition is, say, only 1 cylinder,
and make the b partition start at the second (or do you count from zero and
call it the first) cylinder?  Will that fly if I use "b" for swapping?

What I'm really trying to get at is I want a "b" swap partition near the "front"
of the disk, and a fairly large "h" partition "behind" it, but I don't want to
waste the 7 odd Mb "a" partition, so can I make "b" overlap with "a" if I tell
newfs that "a" is only the part that doesn't overlap "b"?

Mike Khaw
--

zemon@felix.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <12964@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (Michael Khaw) writes:
>I forgot to add that my system runs Ultrix 1.2
>
>To expand a bit more, what if I make the "b" partition *partially* overlap
>the "a" partition, and use /etc/newfs to build a 1-cylinder filesystem on
>"a" and use "b" for swapping/paging -- am I asking for trouble?
>
>Mike Khaw

We are running Ultrix 2.0 and I have had no trouble placing
a raw database partition in a chunk of disk that partially
overlays partition a.  I build a file system on partition a
so there would be a valid superblock, built my partition
tabke with /etc/chpt, and then proceded to clobber most of
the file system with my DBMS.  Since I never mess with the
file system and the DBMS cannot overwrite the partition
table at the beginning, all is well.

	-- Art Z.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (06/03/87)

In article <13263@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) writes:
> What I'm really trying to get at is I want a "b" swap partition near the "front"
> of the disk, and a fairly large "h" partition "behind" it, but I don't want to
> waste the 7 odd Mb "a" partition, so can I make "b" overlap with "a" if I tell
> newfs that "a" is only the part that doesn't overlap "b"?

Why don't you just do your swaping on the 'a' partition?  Have it
overlap the b and maybe even the g partition, then have your h.  (or combine
the g with the h...).  Making the small a should also work, but is kind
of kludgy...

--

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <912@apple.UUCP> ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:

>Why don't you just do your swaping on the 'a' partition?  Have it

Nope,  if I use 'a' for swapping then it doesn't have a filesystem on it,
therefore no superblock(s), therefore(?) no partition table.  (I already tried).

The Ultrix ra81 givens are:
- you MUST have an 'a' partition WITH a filesystem on it
- the 'a' partition must begin at sector 0 and cannot be made smaller
- the default size of the 'a' partition is (approx.) 7 Mbytes

But others have said that they overlap 'a' with other partitions and build
just a tiny filesystem on 'a'.  It IS a kludge, but it seems to be my only
option.

Mike Khaw