[comp.sys.dec] What do I do with a 11/03 ??

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (07/16/87)

An 11/03 can address 64k of memory.  As such, Xinu probably isn't a good
idea.  For a machine like that, you're best off running rt11

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/17/87)

In article <IUzDmUy00WAKw-o0GZ@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>An 11/03 can address 64k of memory.  As such, Xinu probably isn't a good
>idea.  For a machine like that, you're best off running rt11

Xinu was meant to be run on 11/03's or 11/02's, but it just plain doesn't
*do* much.  It provides some multi-tasking, but it hardly has a file system,
and its compiler isn't self-hosting (you need a VAX to compile your systems
and download them).

Xinu would be real good if you're interested in using the 11/03 to run some
dedicated applications (process control, or something like that).  For
general use, I agree, RT-11 is the way to go.

--Pat.