[comp.sys.dec] A DEC Rainbow/PRO series Software & Hardware Solicit

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (09/12/87)

[--]

   Hello DEC PC users out there...

   OK, getting straight to the point.  I am asking for something....

   There are a lot of DEC PCs out there collecting dust because your
   companies or departments are buying the newest, be-fangled IBM PC-type
   machines.  Ok.  No problem.  You need the power and the newer software.
   However, this means you're doing little if anything with that DEC PC
   you bought a long time ago.  It is collecting dust and your boss wants
   it out of the office or storage room.  You're pulling hairs.  What are
   you going to do with the stuff?  Sell it?  Ok.  I will give you the fact
   you probably can sell a fully loaded Rainbow 100B w/ harddisk IF you
   can find someone to buy it.  However, most DEC resellers won't touch
   them now because DEC has discontinued the lines and everyone's buying
   PS/2s now anyway.  Burn the lot?  No.  There are laws against that in
   many states.  Throw it out?  Well ...

   Wait!   How about boxing it up and shipping it to someone who's trying
   to put together collections of DEC Rainbow and PRO software that some-
   day may be shipped to the Boston Computer Museum?  How about to someone
   who is adding to the collection of software that can be made available to
   members of the GRALUG (Greater Rochester Area Local Users Group) DECUS and
   the PC Special Interest Forum?

   If you have no need for DEC Rainbow or PRO-series hardware or software
   and you have tried all other avenues to get rid of the items, please
   contact me at the USmail/telephone number below.  I may be able to
   offer some $$$$ for the hardware or software as long as it's in good
   condition and working.  I'll be happy to pay for shipping of the boxed
   software or hardware.

   This will probably meet with raised eyebrows and skepticism.  I am
   simply trying another way of canvasing people and companies for software
   or hardware that they would otherwise throw away.  I am offering another
   opportunity to put that hardware and software to good use.  If it's sent
   specifically to be used in the local DECUS library, the items should
   be able to be written off since DECUS is a non-profit organization.

   Thanks.

   Please direct any inquires, comments, and questions to ...

   Alan I. Vymetalik
   Secretary/Treasurer - GRALUG/PC Special Interest Forum

   Prism Software Designs
   44 Arborwood Crescent
   Rochester, New York, 14615-3807
   716-458-4932 (machine will record calls if no one is available)

   Disclaimers:  This request is placed in an attempt to collect items for
   myself or for use to members of the local DECUS chapter.  I do not work
   for any Communist-controlled interest and all items will remain in the
   United States of America.  This is not an attempt to collect and resell
   items for profit (you'd do that before sending them to me!).

bersamin@td2cad.UUCP (09/15/87)

    I tried to send this via E-mail but it did not recognize 'ritcv' as
    a valid system.  So all uninterested parties, this is your first and
    last warning to hit 'n'.

In article <656@ritcv.UUCP> iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:
>[--]
>
>   If you have no need for DEC Rainbow or PRO-series hardware or software
>   and you have tried all other avenues to get rid of the items, please
>   contact me at the USmail/telephone number below.  I may be able to
>   offer some $$$$ for the hardware or software as long as it's in good
>   condition and working.  I'll be happy to pay for shipping of the boxed
>   software or hardware.

  Hi,

   I am one of those you mentioned trying to get rid of my Rainbow in
   order to get a IBM PC-type machine.  It's in great working order,
   actually hardly ever been touched.  I got it from my sister who
   bought it solely because there was some whiz bang software program
   which would interface into her court reporting job but the company
   went defunct and she had no use for it.  I got it from her to use
   it as a dumb terminal to hook up with a VAX at work.  Very soon
   after I got a VT240 loaner from work and since then the Rainbow
   'has been gathering dust'.  Anyway, I recently decided to test the
   market for someone who would buy or trade for it.

   Anyway, this is what I have available:

            * DEC Rainbow 100+ with Winchester Hard Disk
              and monochrome monitor.

            * All original Documentation and software including
                 - CP/M 86/80  Version 2.0
                 - MS DOS  Version 2.05

            * Micro Pro WORDSTAR  version 3.3

            * DEC LA50 printer with 6 Replacement Ribbons

            * 50 DEC RX50 compatible Mini Diskettes

            * Misc. Court Reporting Software including:
                 - The CAT  version 2.1  (2 disks)
                 - The CAT  version 1.210  (2 disks)
                 - VERTICAT  version 2.2  (2 disks)
                 - VERTICAT  version 2.102  (2 disks)

      That's the list.  I have a pending offer from one company
      who's interested in the hardware only for $700.  I trying
      to work out a deal with another company (also interested
      only in the hardware) for a trade for a TURBO-XT compati-
      ble.  When you talk about 'offering some $$$$' is this about
      the range you're talking about?  If not, and I can work out
      a deal with one of these companies, would you be interested
      in any of the software and/or blank diskettes??

      thanx for your time.

      Rich Bersamin
      INTEL TD
      Santa Clara, CA.