[comp.sys.dec] ultrix 2.0 NFS/YP questions

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (09/12/87)

Two questions regarding Ultrix 2.0:

1) does ultrix 2.0 yp integrate with Sun 3.x yp?  We have a Sun yp
   domain that predates a GPX that was just installed.  I ran /etc/ypsetup
   and /usr/adm/bin/nfssetup to set the GPX up as an NFS client and a yp
   client (in the same domain as the Suns).  The GPX says it can't find
   any yp servers in the yp domain, but none of the suns has a problem.
   We have one master and 2 slave yp servers.

2) Can an existing ultrix 1.2 filesystem be exported for read/write NFS
   mounts, or does the filesystem have to be rebuilt to be a 2.0 filesystem?
   We have several ra81's worth of 1.2 filesystems and it would be sooo
   nice not to have to dump/newfs/restore them.

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

finegan@uccba.UUCP (Mike Finegan) (09/19/87)

In article <16562@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
> Two questions regarding Ultrix 2.0:
>
> 1) does ultrix 2.0 yp integrate with Sun 3.x yp?  We have a Sun yp
>    domain that predates a GPX that was just installed.  I ran /etc/ypsetup
>    and /usr/adm/bin/nfssetup to set the GPX up as an NFS client and a yp
>    client (in the same domain as the Suns).  The GPX says it can't find
>    any yp servers in the yp domain, but none of the suns has a problem.
>    We have one master and 2 slave yp servers.
We are currently upgrading to 2.0, and plan to use nfs & yp with several
Suns we have. In the Documentation (release notes actually) there is a
reference to the problem you describe, and says something about the predating you mentioned as a problem. If we have problems, and solve the same problem, I'll
surely let you know ...
Also, we will be using 1.2 filesystems, but on tape, not on disc. Would that be
completely different?
				Thanks,
					Mike Finegan
					...{hal,pyramid}!uccba!finegan