[comp.sys.dec] PDP-11 ESCape Problems with RSTS/E

mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (09/18/87)

I have been having problems with a BASIC-PLUS program on a PDP-11 running
RSTS/E Version 7.  I have been trying to output an ESC code (ASCII 27) to
the terminal to begin an escape code to place the VT100 into the DEC Spec-
ial Graphics character set.  However, the wonderful RSTS/E operating system
converts all ESC characters (as far as I can tell) to '$', which do me very
little good.  I have tried using PRINT, OPEN/MODE/PRINT#, OPEN/MODE/FIELD/
PUT, and other variations with different values for MODE, but I either could
not get rid of the '$' or I would get unpredictable 'junk'.  Can anyone help?
I would greatly appreciate any help provided.

					Michael Niehaus
					..!bsu-cs!mithomas
					(Ball State U., Muncie, IN)

P.S.  Maybe I could find it myself but the people who I am doing the work
      for won't trust me with a programmer's manual.  And I'm not going to
      pay $80 to get one from DEC.

cranor@udel.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <1158@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:

>I have been having problems with a BASIC-PLUS program on a PDP-11 running
>RSTS/E Version 7.  I have been trying to output an ESC code (ASCII 27) to
>the terminal . . .

Try using CHR$(155%) (not 27!).   Then it won't print "$".

					Chuck (former rsts/e user!)

--
Chuck Cranor
University of Delaware  PHONE: (302)-451-6660 (UDel), (302)-737-5852 (home)

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (09/18/87)

In article <1158@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:

>I have been having problems with a BASIC-PLUS program on a PDP-11 running
>RSTS/E Version 7.  I have been trying to output an ESC code (ASCII 27) to
>the terminal to begin an escape code to place the VT100 into the DEC Spec-
>ial Graphics character set.  However, the wonderful RSTS/E operating system
>converts all ESC characters (as far as I can tell) to '$', which do me very
>little good.

You have two options:

1) Use binary mode output:

	PRINT, RECORD 4096%, CHR$(27%) + "...";

2) Add 128 to any ascii control characters you want to protect from
standard RSTS/E character processing:

	PRINT CHR$(155%) + "...";

RSTS/E will strip out the high bit, but not outerwise alter the
character.

Jeff Siegal

steve@ondine.uucp (Steve Jenkins) (09/18/87)

In article <1158@bsu-cs.UUCP> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:

>I have been having problems with a BASIC-PLUS program on a PDP-11 running
>RSTS/E Version 7.  I have been trying to output an ESC code (ASCII 27) to
>the terminal to begin an escape code to place the VT100 into the DEC Spec-
>ial Graphics character set.  However, the wonderful RSTS/E operating system
>converts all ESC characters (as far as I can tell) to '$', which do me very
>little good.  [ ... ]
>					Michael Niehaus

I remember getting around the same problem in RT-11 by sending ASCII
code 155 (128 + 27) instead.  Setting the MSB 'escaped' the escape and
prevented the translation.  The bit is stripped off on output.

Steve Jenkins			ucla-an!steve@EE.UCLA.EDU
UCLA Dept of Anesthesiology	{decvax,ihnp4}!hermix!ucla-an!steve
				(213)-825-4364

ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) (09/18/87)

It's been at least 6 years since I've touched RSTS/E, but as I recall, if
you set the high bit on the character code, RSTS does no translation on it.
Thus, instead of CHR$(27), use CHR$(128+27).

Again, this was a long time ago, and since then, DEC has introduced multi-
national terminals that do use the high bit, so things may have changed.

--
Ted Marshall       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted <or> mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
Britton Lee, Inc., 14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030     (408)378-7000

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (09/19/87)

In article <3320@blia.BLI.COM> ted@blia.BLI.COM (Ted Marshall) writes:
>[...]
>Again, this was a long time ago, and since then, DEC has introduced multi-
>national terminals that do use the high bit, so things may have changed.

A special open MODE has been added to recent versions of RSTS/E (9.0
and later) to allow transparant output of eight-bit extended ascii
characters. I believe it is 16384, but never having used it, and not
having a manual handy, I can't guarantee that is correct.

Jeff Siegal