[comp.sys.dec] SCREENS HURT EYES

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (10/11/87)

My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under
the eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

Another screen was mildly irritating; I had to use it with the
intensity turned down low.

These screens feel harsh to my eyes; they also "feel" brighter than they look.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my eyes.

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  (PLEASE BE ALERT TO PEOPLE YOU
KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT.)  If so, please reply to me directly.
You can also post on the  comp.sys.mac  bulletin board.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Here's more info:

The screens which bothered me had purple tint or blue with slight purple
tint.  I have inspected some of them; mfr is Clinton Taiwan Corp.

Eyes hurt much worse than what ophthalmologist describes here:

In article <993@ski.UUCP> dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye problems.
>All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the computer equipment
>itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering system causes eyestrain.
>... Staring at anything, but particularly a terminal, reduces the blink
>rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and air "burns" the conjunctiva
>and cornea.  This leads to dryness, grittyness, foreign body
>sensation, burning, and sometimes photophobia (light sensitivity).  It
>can feel just like UV keratitis (corneal burn).  ...
>Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas dry
>eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an over-the-counter
>preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime optional.

My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for months, not 1-2 days.
They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that mild
breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a walk
outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent Macintosh
computer screens (SE, Plus).  Prior to this experience, other
exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens (as well as other
computer screens) have never hurt my eyes.

Ophthalmologist's reply above is well meant but is not the explanation for
my symptoms.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps
milder or shorter lasting) please contact me directly.