[comp.sys.dec] Maximum Users on MicroVax 2000

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (01/01/88)

I was talking to someone at the DecDirect helpline the other day and he
told me you could get a MicroVax 2000 with as many as 12 serial ports on
it (which could be used for modems).  Can anyone confirm this for me?  I
have had other people tell me that 4 ports is the maximum.

Also, is there any way of connecting a '2000 to an X.25 net directly
(that is, without going through the ethernet to a standalone bridge)

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (01/06/88)

In article <588@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I was talking to someone at the DecDirect helpline the other day and he
>told me you could get a MicroVax 2000 with as many as 12 serial ports on
>it (which could be used for modems).  Can anyone confirm this for me?  I
>have had other people tell me that 4 ports is the maximum.

There is indeed some new widget that adds 8 serial ports to a
MicroVAX 2000.  It is mentioned in the latest "Insight" (a random
DEC newsletter I get).  The DHT 32-AA adds 8, giving a total of 12,
serial ports.  The article does not mention whether any or all of the
lines provide modem control.  Of the four built-in ports, I believe only
one provides modem control.

>Also, is there any way of connecting a '2000 to an X.25 net directly
>(that is, without going through the ethernet to a standalone bridge)

The -2000 has only thinwire ethernet and serial communications ports.
As it's a "busless" system, you don't have the options from DEC or
third parties that you'd have with a Qbus.  I suppose someone could build
additional options, as DEC did with the DHT 32-AA, but there probably isn't
much of a marketplace.  Note that you could run over an async line to
another host with X.25 access (using async DECnet in the VMS world or
TCP/IP/SLIP in the Ultrix world) but I don't think that's what you're
after either...

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrcvax.uucp
         Network Research Co.              kvc%nrcvax@trwind.trw.com
                                           kvc@engvax.scg.hac.com