[comp.sys.dec] PDP-11 Clocks

eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) (01/04/88)

-
Can someone tell me if the DL11-WA SLU/*RTC* stands for Real Time Clock,
as well as the serial interface? I'm wondering if the machine will think
this is one of the kl-11 clocks, or is it something completely
different? Also, does anyone wanna sell a KL11-L or -P? Thanks!

						...decvax!yale!spock!eric

42 October Hill Rd. 				Eric Volpe
Hamden, CT 06518				Choate Rosemary Hall
(203) 281-0690					Wallingford, CT

cetron@utah-cs.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (01/05/88)

	the w in the dl11-wa indicated a combined dl-11a with a
kw11-l line time clock.  The most common real-time clock made by
digital was the kw11-p. the dl11-wa was used in early 11's which
didn't have ltc's built into the cpu board set.

-ed
cetron@cs.utah.edu

movshon@acf8.UUCP (Tony Movshon) (01/05/88)

Eric Volpe asks:

> Can someone tell me if the DL11-WA SLU/*RTC* stands for Real Time Clock,
> as well as the serial interface?

The DL11-W includes a line-frequency clock equivalent to the KW11-L. It
is only useful for keeping track of the time of day.

> Also, does anyone wanna sell a KW11-L or -P? Thanks!

Last time I checked, used KW11-P's were hard to come by. There seem to
be reasonable numbers of KW11-K's (the fancier dual programmable RTC)
around, however.

                                        Tony Movshon

Internet:  movshon@nyu.nyu.edu
Usenet:    {ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!tony or movshon@cmcl2.uucp
US Mail:   Department of Psychology, NYU
           6 Washington Place
           New York, NY 10003
Phone:     (212) 998-7880

bjh@linus.UUCP (Brian Holland) (01/06/88)

From jdh Tue Jan  5 12:26:04 1988
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 88 12:26:00 EST
From: Joel D. Harris <jdh>
Posted-Date: Tue, 5 Jan 88 12:26:00 EST
To: bjh
Subject: comp.sys.dec posting

Here is a draft of a news posting for VMS modem port information.
Look it over.  If you have any improvements to contribute, do so, or if you
have any questions, let me know.   Note the offer to post progress
of the project.

Subject: Vax2000 serial communication port - VMS

We are designing multiprocessor DSP system to run off a VME
backplane, with a VME133 board as the system controller.  For a
user interface to the system, we are using a VAX2000 workstation
running VMS, and connecting to the VME through the serial modem
line.  The VME133 serial port interface is a Z8530 chip, which
follows standard RS232 protocol. If anyone has any experience using
the modem port as a serial communications line, we would appreciate
some helpful hints.

Initial questions we have:

	Are there any drivers available for using the modem port
for communications such as this?

	Are there any system configuration issues?

	If we have to write our own driver, is there anything available
that might make the job easier, such as a similar driver that would need
modification only for this application, or a manual describing the
required information for writing driver?

	Thank you in advance.  If there is any interest in the problem,
we can post our progress on the project.

--
()
Brian Holland                    bjh@mitre-bedford.arpa  (alt: bjh@linus)

kellym@tekgen.TEK.COM (Kelly Mc Connell) (01/06/88)

In article <222@spock.UUCP> eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:

>-
>Can someone tell me if the DL11-WA SLU/*RTC* stands for Real Time Clock,
>as well as the serial interface? I'm wondering if the machine will think
>this is one of the kl-11 clocks, or is it something completely different?

SLU/RTC stands for Serial Line Unit/Real Time Clock.  The RTC can be disabled
via switches on the board if you don't want/need the clock.  On systems with
a separate KW11-L/P you will want the DL's RTC disabled.

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (01/06/88)

In article <1490006@acf8.UUCP> movshon@acf8.UUCP (Tony Movshon) writes:
>Eric Volpe asks:
>
>> Can someone tell me if the DL11-WA SLU/*RTC* stands for Real Time Clock,
>> as well as the serial interface?
>
>> Also, does anyone wanna sell a KW11-L or -P? Thanks!
>
>Last time I checked, used KW11-P's were hard to come by.  ...

I believe I have one in the PDP-11/20 archived in my attic.  What would
a KW-11-P be worth today?

216-581-5976
Disclaimer:  This has NOTHING to do with my employer.
--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl

afb3@hou2d.UUCP (A.BALDWIN) (01/09/88)

In article <222@spock.UUCP>, eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:

> -
> Can someone tell me if the DL11-WA SLU/*RTC* stands for Real Time Clock,
> as well as the serial interface? I'm wondering if the machine will think
> this is one of the kl-11 clocks, or is it something completely
> different? Also, does anyone wanna sell a KL11-L or -P? Thanks!
>
> 						...decvax!yale!spock!eric
Eric,

The "clock" portion of the DL11-WA is exactly equivalent to the KL11-L
(e.g. the "line clock").  It even has the same addresses.  A PDP-11
with a DL11-WA doesn't need a line clock card to run (a reasonable
OS).

I found this out in 1976 when I received delivery of a then new to the
world PDP-11/55.  Field service thought they had been shorted a board
(the line clock) and the reference manuals turned up a draft document
on the DR11-W.......

Interesting history trivia.

Al Baldwin
AT&T-Bell Labs
...!ihnp4!hou2d!afb3

[These opinions are my own....Who else would want them!!!]