[comp.sys.dec] Menu system for VAX/VMS ?

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (02/05/88)

In article <625@alette.UUCP>, trier@alette.UUCP (Jens Trier Rasmussen) writes:
> I'm looking for a menu system for the VAX/VMS. The system should be able to
> be the first the user sees of the VMS, no username password prompt, but a
> homemade welcome screen.
>
> A system similar to the following menu system for IBM computers would be
> welcome:
> 	     TPX from Duquesne/Gap Gemini
> 	     Netview/Acces Services from IBM
> 	     SESAM from Verimation
>
> Kind Regards
> --
>                    Jens Trier Rasmussen
>    danNet A/S, Blokken 9, DK-3460 Birkeroed,+45-2-821600
> uucp:        ..mcvax!trier@alette.uucp

But cann't you easily build one using DCL and any other toys you have on
your system? Set up the account as captive and kick the user right into
either your program or the DCL with CTRL-Y/C disabled/tapped. No? You can
also have a more fancy menu using the FMS system for VAX/VMS (for extra $$,
I guess).

Peter/
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-8528

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, I'm only a physicist.
            Don't quote me on anything! I speak only for myself.

Opus: "Why, fer cryin' out loud..research physicists need Porsches, TOO!!"

						 -- Bloom County

dave@wsccs.UUCP (VAX Headroom @ The End of the Galaxy) (02/18/88)

> In article <625@alette.UUCP>, trier@alette.UUCP (Jens Trier Rasmussen) writes:
> > I'm looking for a menu system for the VAX/VMS. The system should be able to
> > be the first the user sees of the VMS, no username password prompt, but a
> > homemade welcome screen.

Well, you can have something appear before the username password prompt
by defining sys$announce to be either a string of text or @filename
(ex. @sys$manager:prewelcome.txt)
and it will display this before giving the prompts.  To get rid of the
prompts
altogether, you can define the terminal to be an auto-login terminal with
sys$manager:alfmaint.com (i think thats the name).  This utility
lets you define the username that this terminal will automatically use.
If there is no password on the username, then the terminal will enter the
account automatically.  You can make it captive and create a menu system
with DCL or do whatever you want in the login.com.

|		    |	     Dave E Martin       | DISCLAIMER: Been Cancelled |
|    /\		    | "...between the streets of | $ opinion/mine/noUinTech   |
|   /  \  .    /\   | Dallas, and the beaches of |----------------------------|
|  /    \/ \/\/  \  | Miami ...  THIS  was   Max | ...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-gr! |
| / U i n T e c h \ | Headroom's  finest  hour." | uplherc!sp7040!obie!       |
|		    |	          --Max Headroom | wsccs!net23.dnet!dave      |