[comp.sys.dec] MAIL

jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten) (02/24/88)

I have a problem with VMS MAIL -- I get a message that I have one new mail
message even though I do not.  I seem to remember that a solution to this
problem was posted some time ago.  Could someone please send me the info.
Thanks in advance.
	   Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA: jkw@lanl.gov

tada@athena.mit.edu (Michael Zehr) (02/26/88)

In article <492@a.UUCP> jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten) writes:
>I have a problem with VMS MAIL -- I get a message that I have one new mail
>message even though I do not.  I seem to remember that a solution to this
>problem was posted some time ago.  Could someone please send me the info.
>Thanks in advance.
>	   Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA: jkw@lanl.gov

I had this problem recently, and tried a number of things before DEC support
gave me a very simple fix.  Presumably you logon, get a "new mail" message,
enter MAIL, get another "new mail" message, hit the return key and get
a "no next message"?  Enter "read/new", and you'll get "no next message."  Then
read your *last* message in your default folder, and then hit the return key
again.  This will convince mail that there is indeed no new message.

Sorry to post to the entire network, but my reply is brain-dead.

----------
michael j zehr
"My opinions are my own ... as is my spelling."

bob@monaloa (Bob Firestine) (02/26/88)

In article <492@a.UUCP> jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten) writes:
>I have a problem with VMS MAIL -- I get a message that I have one new mail
>message even though I do not.  I seem to remember that a solution to this
>problem was posted some time ago.  Could someone please send me the info.

Use the MAIL command READ/NEW to reset the count
Bob Firestine
Schlumberger Technologies
1601 Technology DR
San Jose 95115

chuck@felix.UUCP (Charles Vertrees (Chuck)) (02/27/88)

In article <492@a.UUCP> jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten) writes:
>I have a problem with VMS MAIL -- I get a message that I have one new mail
>message even though I do not.  I seem to remember that a solution to this
>problem was posted some time ago.  Could someone please send me the info.
>Thanks in advance.
>	   Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA: jkw@lanl.gov

I believe, after you dig through the documentation, the official way of
clearing this problem is simply to issue the command:

    MAIL> dir/new

at the MAIL prompt, when you know you have no new messages.  MAIL will issue
an error message stating the same, and in the process, reset your mail count
to zero.

Its been a year since I was on a VMS machine, but I believe this is the way to
do it.  Hope this works for you.

Chuck Vertrees
...hplabs!felix!chuck

michael@ddsw1.UUCP (Michael Duebner) (02/27/88)

In article <492@a.UUCP> jkw@a.UUCP (Jay Wooten) writes:
>I have a problem with VMS MAIL -- I get a message that I have one new mail
>message even though I do not.  I seem to remember that a solution to this
>problem was posted some time ago.  Could someone please send me the info.
>Thanks in advance.
>	   Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA: jkw@lanl.gov

Yes we did go through this some time ago.  If I remember correctly this also
happened on my system when certain accounts were deleted and then
reinstated under the same name (gic,uic).  All of these accounts had mail
waiting  for them before they were deleted.

Back to the solution:

Go into Mail and type: READ/NEW
		       DEL/ALL
		       COMPRESS (I think that is the command??)
		       EXIT

Give it a shot.......

--

Michael Duebner	                UUCP : ddsw1!michael
Technical Services, Buffalo Grove, IL   312/541-6550