[comp.sys.dec] NEWS or USENET on VMS???

dlsc1032@dlscg1.UUCP (Alan Beal) (03/18/88)

Recently, someone posted a question on whether a VAX running VMS could
participate on USENET and/or receive NEWS.  I would also like to know if this
is possible.

Thanks.

--
Alan Beal   DLSC-ZBC                 Autovon    932-4160
Defense Logistics Services Center    Commercial (616)961-4160

davidli@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Meile) (03/19/88)

In article <360@dlscg1.UUCP> dlsc1032@dlscg1.UUCP (Alan Beal) writes:
>Recently, someone posted a question on whether a VAX running VMS could
>participate on USENET and/or receive NEWS.  I would also like to know if this
>is possible.

Yes, a version of NEWS running in Native VMS mode does exist.  It was written
by Geoff Huston of the Australian National University.  It is written in
VAX C.  Availability -- I have heard it is on the Fall '87 DECS VAX SIG
tapes, and may be available via FTP from somewhere.

IF you need a copy of it, and have no other way of getting it, I will be
willing to mail you a copy providing you (a) send a mag tape/TK50 cartridge;
(b) include a mailing label and (c) provide enough postage for the return
trip.  1600 bpi VMS BACKUP format...  PLEASE check around your neighborhood
(including electronic neighborhood ...) FIRST.

I believe (since I haven't run the darn thing) VMS NEWS provides for
nntp-like abilities via DECnet.  However, I am very anxious to obtain a
version of nntp -- at least as far as CMU-TEK TCP/IP is concerned.  If you
have an nntp 'server' (only purpose would be to 'get' News files via
network), please let me know.

Getting News files to your computer is not within the scope of VMS NEWS.
Perhaps Kermit or MMDF<-->PMDF transfer would work nicely.  (hmm...with
PMDF's 'DELIVER' utility...)

ByTheWay - USENET is a generic conglomerate of sites in the network, not
a protocol (info provided for non-UNIX, non-USENET sites...)

-- Dave Meile

Address:	David Meile
		Health Computer Sciences
		Box 511 UMHC, 420 Delaware St. SE
		Minneapolis, MN  55455

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (03/22/88)

In article <360@dlscg1.UUCP> dlsc1032@dlscg1.UUCP (Alan Beal) writes:
>Recently, someone posted a question on whether a VAX running VMS could
>participate on USENET and/or receive NEWS.  I would also like to know if this
>is possible.

I second this. A friend and former co-worker is at a site without net access
currently, and will soon be bringing up a VMS machine. I would like to give
him a feed, but I know *nothing* about VMS w/r/t UUCP/News, etc..

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (03/24/88)

In article <4376@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> davidli@umn-cs.UUCP (Dave Meile) writes:

>ByTheWay - USENET is a generic conglomerate of sites in the network, not
>a protocol (info provided for non-UNIX, non-USENET sites...)

I think the correct term is meta-network.
--
sharan "alf" kalwani		      internet:  shan%mcf.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu
usenet:      ...!{ihnp4!mibte, uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan