[comp.sys.dec] LAN Hardware/Software advice needed

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (03/29/88)

Dear Fellow Netters,

Well... it looks like we'll be getting a VMS system here (most likely
a microVAX-II). I already run a VAX-11/750 with 4.3bsd +NFS on it,
plus a number of IBM PC's(60) and growing number of Mac SEs. My questions
are :

(i)	I would like to run Ethernet between the microVAX and the
	11/750. Which ethernet controller should i buy for the uVAX?
	I already have a DEUNA on the 750 but might trade it in for
	a DELUA.

(ii)	How can I set things up so that folks on the uVAX logon to the
	UNIX machine and vice-versa? I think I would like to get TCP/IP
	and all the rlogin/telnet/ftp,etc. stuff for the uVAX. Which is the
	best (or recommended) options to buy?
	Will the uVAX-II be able to support all this? Will VMS block
	ethernet logins?

(iii)	How can the IBM PC's and Mac SEs also do the rlogin/telnet/ftp,etc.,
	action with either of the UNIX VAX or VMS uVAX? How should
	be go about doing this? Money is no object but of course
	a few hundred feet above the ground is our limit (read $50,000
	to $150,00 is my anticipated budget :-). Feel free to share your
	expreriences and flights of fancy. I'm all ears!

(iv) 	This was added as an after thought, but we have an HP 3000
	as well. How can we network that to the configuration above?

If I need to be specific please let me know I can supply details.
If this needs to be included in other groups, do modify the newsgroup header.
All advice appreciated.

--
sharan "alf" kalwani		     internet:  shan%mcf.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu
usenet:     ...!{ihnp4!mibte, uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (03/31/88)

Q:	I would like to run Ethernet between the microVAX and the
	11/750. Which ethernet controller should i buy for the uVAX?
	I already have a DEUNA on the 750 but might trade it in for
	a DELUA.
A:	GO with the DELUA, there was a bug with DEUNA's in 750's that
	they sunk so much power when they energized the transciever that
	DCLO would occur on the UNIBUS crashing the machine.

Q:	How can I set things up so that folks on the uVAX logon to the
	UNIX machine and vice-versa? I think I would like to get TCP/IP
	and all the rlogin/telnet/ftp,etc. stuff for the uVAX. Which is the
	best (or recommended) options to buy?
	Will the uVAX-II be able to support all this? Will VMS block
	ethernet logins?
A:	Answer, best bet in a mixed environment is to run TCP/IP (of
	course, I'm a IP bigot).  You can get TCP/IP for the VAX from
	a couple of commercial sources.  We deal with Wollengong.  The
	price is around $6000 list for a multiuser VMS uVAX, but you
	may be able to convince them to give them a discount.  They have
	a very liberal discount for Universities now.   This will allow
	full connectivity for login/telnet between the two machines.
	You could get DECNET for the UNIX machine, but this is not such
	a good solution.

Q:	How can the IBM PC's and Mac SEs also do the rlogin/telnet/ftp,etc.,
	action with either of the UNIX VAX or VMS uVAX? How should
	be go about doing this? Money is no object but of course
	a few hundred feet above the ground is our limit (read $50,000
	to $150,00 is my anticipated budget :-). Feel free to share your
	expreriences and flights of fancy. I'm all ears!
A:	You can fully equip an IBM-PC with an Ethernet card and TCP
	software for less than $500 dollars.  You can probably do it
	for less than $300 if you rely on Public Domain software and
	the cheaper Ethernet cards.  We tend towards the Micom 5210
	cards these days.  For Macintoshes, there is no good way for
	the non-MAC-II's to hold an Ethernet card.  However, you can
	run TCP/IP nicely by using an Appletalk->Ethernet gateway.
	Specifically, the Kinetics FastPath (less than $2000) which will
	serve an entire Appletalk net.  We use this in conjunction with
	the public domain NCSA telnet.  You can get Ethernet cards for
	the MAC-II's and rumor has it for the SE, but I have no experience
	with this as the FastPath box is more economical when you have
	more than one or two Macs to hook up.

Q: 	This was added as an after thought, but we have an HP 3000
	as well. How can we network that to the configuration above?
A:	HP has now announced TCP/IP for the 3000 as well.  Unfortunately
	they don't use the standard Ethernet format so you have to buy
	a converter box from a company called CISCO.  This costs around
	$6000 (list) but you can also use the same box to provide interface
	for telnet and rlogin from regular ASCII terminals to the network.

-Ron

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (03/31/88)

In article <Mar.30.11.12.09.1988.26831@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>A:	GO with the DELUA, there was a bug with DEUNA's in 750's that
>	they sunk so much power when they energized the transciever that
>	DCLO would occur on the UNIBUS crashing the machine.

That's funny.  We have an 11/750 that runs just fine with a DEUNA installed.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.{cs.psu.edu,bitnet,uucp}>
The Pennsylvania State University, Department of Computer Science
333 Whitmore Laboratory, University Park, PA   16802
+1 814 863 1142 or +1 814 865 9723

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (03/31/88)

In article <3405@psuvax1.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <Mar.30.11.12.09.1988.26831@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>A:	GO with the DELUA, there was a bug with DEUNA's in 750's that
>>	they sunk so much power when they energized the transciever that
>>	DCLO would occur on the UNIBUS crashing the machine.
>>

>That's funny.  We have an 11/750 that runs just fine with a DEUNA installed.

Yeah ... so do we.  But I think it's on its own unibus in our machine.
I don't remember.  Anyway, the DELUA being a newer design is a better
board.

For the same reason you want to get DELQA's for uVaxen instead of
DEQNA's.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET