[comp.sys.dec] DEC DCJ11-AC Chip Set

wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (William J. Chiarchiaro) (04/07/88)

I am contemplating purchasing a DCJ11-AC chip set from DEC.  This
is the chip set that is the heart of the various KDJ11 cpu cards,
such as the 11/53, 11/73, 11/83, and 11/84.  I would like to build
my own Q-bus cpu card around the chip set.  The card would probably
be quite simple: no cache, no floating-point accelerator, no boot
ROM, and no serial lines.

Has anyone else undertaken a project like this?  I have ordered a
copy of the DCJ11 Microprocessor User's Guide, but I would like to
hear about anyone's hands-on experiences.  When I pay $473.00 for a
chip, I don't want to blow it away on the first power-up.

Thanks,
Bill
wjc@xn.ll.mit.edu

frank@ritcsh.UUCP (Frank Giuffrida) (04/10/88)

In article <952@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> wjc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (William J. Chiarchiaro) writes:
> Stuff deleted.....
>Has anyone else undertaken a project like this?  I have ordered a
>copy of the DCJ11 Microprocessor User's Guide, but I would like to
>hear about anyone's hands-on experiences.  When I pay $473.00 for a
>chip, I don't want to blow it away on the first power-up.
>
>Thanks,
>Bill
>wjc@xn.ll.mit.edu

About four years ago I built a J11 based system for the Unibus. At that time
the chip was just introduced and cost $450.00. I share your feelings about
spending lots of money for the chip and then blowing it up. But, I have
put that poor chip through lots of pain, and it still continued to work.

The DCJ11 Microprocessor User Guide is a must. DEC really did a good job
preparing that manual. The J11 itself is quite simple for what you want to
do with it. Just remember, tie off all unused inputs, this burnt me for a few
days. When I was done with the entire design and debug, I was able to run
BSD 2.9 with TCP/IP enhancements on the processor with no problems. The
final system had 2 Mb memory, Unibus Map, 40 serial ports, RK07 and TS11 drive
controllers. The system supported a load of 20 users running BSD 2.9 with
no problems.

I had no real problems with the processor or documentation. The manual is
correct for the most part. Just beaware that the J11, as well as some other
DEC lsi11 processors, do handle some pdp11 instructions in a strange way.
In the back of the J11 Users Guide, there is a list of differences between
the different pdp11 processors, its worth giving it the once over.

Any questions, drop me a note and GOOD LUCK, have fun, I did.

Frank Giuffrida				uucp: uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ritcsh!frank
Computer Science House			at&t: 716 475-3305
Advanced Research Group
Rochester Institute of Technology