[comp.sys.dec] TCP/IP board for the BI bus?

tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave) (04/28/88)

  Does anyone know  of anybody that  has a TCP/IP  board, much like  the
Excelan product, that will work on the BI bus and is available today?

  Excelan's product for the  BI won't be available  till 4th quarter  of
this year.  Putting  a Unibus adapter  on is out  of the question  (It's
MIS's machine).  We can  wait if need be but  if there is one  available
today I'd like  to know  about it.   It  also must  have software  (mail
bridge, ftp, telnet, etc) much like  Excelan's product.  Any info  would
be much appreciated.
--
<tim@Data-IO.COM>            ..uunet            Tim Rosmus (Sys Admin)
..sun!fluke----------\           |               Data I/O Corporation

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (04/28/88)

In article <876@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM>, tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave) writes:

>   Does anyone know  of anybody that  has a TCP/IP  board, much like  the
> Excelan product, that will work on the BI bus and is available today?
>
>   Excelan's product for the  BI won't be available  till 4th quarter  of
Digital's DEBNA will share TCP/IP and DECnet and has been available for
some time

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (04/29/88)

In article <465@tsc.dec.com> pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>Digital's DEBNA will share TCP/IP and DECnet and has been available for
>some time

He said `like the Excelan product': a board with the TCP/IP code
*on the board*.  The DEBNA relies on the host for this.

And now that I have your attention ... WHERE does one get the
documentation for the BI Vax Port Network Interface?  I have the
register bits for the DEBNT, but still cannot use the two I have,
because I have no idea how to make them do anything useful.  All I know
how to do is point them to memory.  What goes in the memory?  And WHY
is buying documentation for DEC's hardware products from DEC so blasted
difficult?!  If you want to sell hardware, how about letting us know
how to program it, too?

DEC has come a long way from the original PDP series, and in the
matter of documentation, for the worse.  Just try buying MSCP
documentation (QP905-GZ, or whatever it is):  `Oops, we can't sell
that to you.'  `Why not?'  `Because it might be useful.'  Arrh.