[comp.sys.dec] Plenum-Rated Ethernet Transceivers

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (05/11/88)

I've seen references on the net to plenum-rated ethernet transceivers
but have never read any specific citations. Plenum-rated transceivers
could be used in the plenum, the environmental air space above drop
ceilings (and other places). Plenum-rated transceiver and coax cable is
common.

I note that the standard DEC transceiver says on its label very
specifically that it is NOT plenum rated, as do the BICC and 3COM
transceivers we use. The Cabletron transceiver literature says
"conforms to UL 910 and NEC 725-2(b) requirements for installation in
air-handling spaces". A quick phone call to our rep had him reading this
verbatum over the phone, which wasn't much help. Other phone calls have
yielded similar results.

A call to our University electrician, who is supposed to know at least
the codes, was not of much use.

So here I am wasting everyone's bandwidth. Does anyone have specific
recommendations, including vendor name and part number? If anyone else
is interested, I'll investigate it from there and summerize results.

Thanks!

--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420

mark@applix.UUCP (Mark Fox) (05/13/88)

In article <859@wright.EDU> jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
>I've seen references on the net to plenum-rated ethernet transceivers [etc.]
>
>...Does anyone have specific recommendations...

When we first installed our Ethernet cable above our dropped ceiling we
also had trouble getting info from fire & building officials. However,
we were assured (not sure by whom -- it was 4+ years ago) that it was
ok from a legal standpoint to install normal yellow PVC cable in plenums
as long as smoke detectors were also present (in the plenums). It certainly
is cheaper than installing Teflon cable or using metal conduit (at least
in the absence of fire!)

Anybody know if this is true today? Any specific building/fire code references
available? Thanks.
--
                                    Mark Fox
       Applix Inc., 112 Turnpike Road, Westboro, MA 01581, (617) 870-0300

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (05/16/88)

I was recently faced with the same problem while installing a network in
a building that uses the air space above the ceiling for the cold air
return of the air-conditioning system.  Since we were ordering Cabletron
transceivers, I knew that everything would be ok.  However, once we re-
ceived the transceivers they had little stickers on them saying (I don't
have one with me at the moment) that they could *not* be used in
"pleums"!  So, I contacted Cabletron.  Normally I get terrific service
and attention from them, but this fiasco went on for *weeks* trying to
reconcile this apparent inconsistency.  Nobody seemed to know anything
about the meaning of their NEC 725 (?) specification vs. this crazy
sticker with an apparent misspelling.

It turns out that the transceivers can be put into "air handling *spaces*"
(like ceilings), but *not* in actual ducting (i.e. main air supplies, etc.).
I guess Cabletron is drawing a distinction between an "air handling" spaces
and "plenums"...

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.
edm@wa.com

devine@cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) (05/18/88)

> Nobody seemed to know anything
> about the meaning of their NEC 725 (?) specification vs. this crazy
> sticker with an apparent misspelling.

  There are *many* regulations regarding building codes.  I suspect
what happened here [cable allowed in "air carrying space" but not
in "plenums"] is due to a local or national fire code.  For a plenum
you want to have non-PVC cable so that the toxic fumes caused by a
fire burning the cable are not circulated by the plenum.

  The "NEC" stands for the National Electrical Code.  From what I
remember, it is Article 800 that controls cabling.  Article 800
defines 4 types of cables (this is the entent of my notes, if
you want more info you'll have to get the actual regulations):

1. Communication cable = general stuff, probably what you bought
2. Communication riser cable = for use in shafts, is fire-resistent
3. Communication plenum cable = used in plenums, no toxic fumes
4. Communication cable, limited use = for use in noncombustible pipes

Bob Devine

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (05/19/88)

in article <410190444@nwnexus.WA.COM>, edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) says:
> It turns out that the transceivers can be put into "air handling *spaces*"
> (like ceilings), but *not* in actual ducting (i.e. main air supplies, etc.).

I'm not sure there's much of a distinction in modern buildings. Many
(including ours) use ductwork to deliver air to offices, then use
the plenum (the air space above the ceiling) as an air return. Since
the fire code is concerned about smoke and noxious fumes from burning
materials (particularly plastic), which are the major causes of deaths
in fires, spreading to other parts of the building (also making locating
the fire very difficult), it would seem to me to be six of one, half
dozen of the other.

It sounds more to me like Cabletron was trying, not very successfully,
to come up with a plausible explanation. Second worry of the day: I
recently realized that some of the telephone closets are open to the
plenum in the top... i.e. no ceiling. So, like, is that a plenum space
or what?

Third worry of the day: trying to explain to our new department chair
why this is all so complicated ("why can't you just run a cable?"
"because I don't want my a** sued off.").

--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420
UUCP:  ...!wright!jsloan                +1-513-259-1384  +1-513-873-2491
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.