[comp.sys.dec] Help! Can't access floating point instructions on an 11/23 plus

larry@ur-cvsvax (Lawrence Snyder) (05/31/88)

I'm using an 11/23 plus, equipped with a floating point chip, for real
data time data collection.  'C' programs are compiled on an 11/73 running
unix and then down-line loaded into the 11/23.  I don't use any system
calls or include any system libraries in the compilation.

In general things run smoothly.  However, I am unable to use floating
point numbers in any way.  Do i need code to initialize the floating
point status register, for example?  Are there library routines in
-lm (the unix system's math library) that i need to include?
In short, I'm completely bewildered.  Any help would be appreciated -

larry@vax.cvs.rochester.edu

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (06/02/88)

In article <802@vax.UUCP> larry@ur-cvsvax (Lawrence Snyder) writes:
>I'm using an 11/23 plus, equipped with a floating point chip, for real
>data time data collection.  'C' programs are compiled on an 11/73 running
>unix and then down-line loaded into the 11/23.  I don't use any system
>calls or include any system libraries in the compilation.

you don't mention which floating point option you have.  there are
three listed (that i can find off hand).  the floating point instruction
formats are different for the cheap option vs. more expensive (fpf-11)
variety.

you may be generating the wrong op-codes for the board you have on the
11/23 with the compiler on the 11/73.  you didn't say what was happening
when you ran the fp instructions?

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "If you aren't part of the solution,
River Parishes Programming       |  you are part of the precipitate."

loci@csccat.UUCP (Chuck Brunow) (06/06/88)

	I used Venix on a 11/23 some time ago. The trick with that
	compiler was a flag ( -f if memory serves) which was set
	at compiler time. Maybe yours is similar?

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083