[comp.sys.dec] TMSCP interface

eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) (06/04/88)

Hi. I seem to recall this being posted before, but I'll ask again-
does anybody know the major/minor device numbers for a TMSCP style
tape drive (on a VAX, 4.3BSD)? Actually, its not a tape but a WORM
disk imitating one, but that shouldn't make any difference at all.

		Thanks a lot,
					Eric Volpe

...decvax!yale!spock!eric
phone: (203) 281-0690
USMAIL: 42 October Hill Rd. Hamden CT 06518

In article <424@spock.UUCP>, eric@spock.UUCP (Eric Volpe) writes:
> does anybody know the major/minor device numbers for a TMSCP style
> tape drive (on a VAX, 4.3BSD)?

Check /sys/vax/conf.c.  From ours, which is mtXinu 4.3+NFS:

bdevsw:
	{ tmscpopen,	tmscpclose,	tmscpstrategy,	tmscpdump,	/* 15 */
	  0,		B_TAPE },
cdevsw:
	tmscpopen,	tmscpclose,	tmscpread,	tmscpwrite,	/* 38 */
	tmscpioctl,	nodev,		tmscpreset,	0,
	seltrue,	nodev,

So our major number is 15 for the block device and 38 for the raw
device; your major numbers will probably be the same, but it's a good
idea to check.  The minor number will presumably be 0, 4, 8, or 12 for
/dev/[r]mt0, /dev/[r]mt4, /dev/[r]mt8, or /dev/[r]mt12.

> Actually, its not a tape but a WORM disk imitating one, but that
> shouldn't make any difference at all.

As long as it uses the same driver, no.  And I believe that driver can
be used by anything that speaks tmscp.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu