[comp.sys.dec] ALL-IN-1 users interest

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/16/88)

Oh how joyous.  This is like a breath of fresh air!  A posting in news.groups
which is devoid of mention of comp.{women,binaries}!

	:-)

In article <1905@hubcap.UUCP> mebrown@hubcap.UUCP (Miriam E Brown) writes:
>Any interest out there for creating a new group for ALL-IN-1 users?  I don't
>see any newsgroups currently on the system pertaining to office automation.
>i would like to create a newsgroup restricted to allin1 software.  the
>group name could be  OA.dec.a1    this would allow other software to be
>incorporated under the OA heading.
>
>so, what about it folks?

First off, when suggesting a new newsgroup you should investigate current
traffic and current newsgroups which are related.  If, looking and not
finding traffic/newsgroups, you should cross-post between news.groups and
any interested groups.  I'm cross-posting the followup to comp.os.vms and
comp.sys.dec for exactly that reason...

Second, there is no "top-level" newsgroup name of "oa".  "We" as Usenet
cannot create something in "oa" first because it doesn't exist and second
because if it did exist we wouldn't have control over it.  The group proposed
fits nicely into "comp", obviously.  Possibly comp.sys.dec already covers
the topic, or comp.sys.dec has enough "room" to contain the topic.  Try
there first.

Next figure out the rest of the name.  Here I'm fuzzy on what you want,
but comp.software might be a good heading.  The idea is for groups discussing
particular software packages to live here.  But that's just a quicky idea
and is probably silly.

There's more, for an idea of what's wanted see the posting in news.lists
about how to create a newsgroup.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET