[comp.sys.dec] VT220 Terminal Emulation

paul@csnz.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (07/01/88)

Line eater bug?  There's no suc

Hello netlanders,
	I am seeking a VT220 terminal emulation package to run on
PS/2 under DOS.  The requirement will be for 30+, so a site license
arrangement would be ideal.  Technical requirements are:

 o 132 column not required
 o Box graphics characters
 o Colour attribute translation
 o Script language for auto login
 o Block and character modes
 o Large size characters
 o PC-DOS 3.3 compatible
 o Extensive documentation
 o Flexible key remapping
 o Keycaps or Stickers or Overlay for keyboard
 o Modem support
 o Some file transfer protocols desirable

I know that local support (i.e. New Zealand) is too much to ask,
but if anyone has any specific recommendations, I would be very
pleased to receive them (via E-mail) which will then be summarised
back to the net.  Thank you.

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences	Call this BBS - Magic Tower (24 hours)
paul@csnz.nz  (vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz)	NZ +64 4 753 561 8N1 TowerNet software

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (07/08/88)

Now the subject has come up, does anyone know of a (possibly cheap)
VT220-terminal emulator program that can display a true 132-column
line (no horizontal scrolling) on an EGA monitor?

Jan v't Ent, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
...!mcvax!eurtrx!euraiv1!jvte  (or PObox1738 NL3000DR Rotterdam)

aptr@ur-tut (The Wumpus) (07/10/88)

In article <711@euraiv1.UUCP> jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) writes:
>Now the subject has come up, does anyone know of a (possibly cheap)
>VT220-terminal emulator program that can display a true 132-column
>line (no horizontal scrolling) on an EGA monitor?

The best VTxxx terminal emulator I have seen is SmartTerm 240.  It
emulates VT100, VT52, VT220, VT240, VT241, VT640, Tektronix 4014.  It
also runs the graphics modes supported on the VT 241 and can be made
to very sucessfully emulate a Gigi terminal (basically a VT241 that
could run Basic).  The emulations are as perfect as I have seen on
any program and yes, it does do 132 columns on the screen if you have
an EGA card.  It also suports tektronix graphics.

I don't remember the cost of the program, but if you want true VTxxx
terminal emulation including graphics and 132 column mode, then this
is the only real choice I have seen.

The maker of the program is PerSoft.

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with PerSoft other then the fact that
my father bought SmartTerm 240 and I use  it when I dial in from
my house.  I simply beleive that after having messed around with many
programs that claimed VT100 compatibility, this is the best one
available.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

will@fredonia.UUCP (James A. Will) (07/10/88)

The latest version of HANDSHAKE for the Amiga includes VT220 emulation.