[comp.sys.dec] can you read machine temperatures from a program

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (07/23/88)

After components in some of our VAXes were fried after a power outage
one evening (the air conditioning units in our machine room don't
automatically come on when the power comes back on),
our DEC FE showed us the >>>SHO POWER command on our 8650's, which
shows the temperature of several thermistors.  Are these temperature
values kept in some machine registers somewhere that a program
(possibly with the help of a UNIX kernel) can read?

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/27/88)

In article <11142@andante.UUCP> mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) writes:
>our DEC FE showed us the >>>SHO POWER command on our 8650's, which
>shows the temperature of several thermistors.  Are these temperature
>values kept in some machine registers somewhere that a program
>(possibly with the help of a UNIX kernel) can read?

Yes.  The only problem is that we have not figured out how to get the
EMM to speak up.  Fred Blonder wrote a preliminary /dev/emm driver,
but it does not work at all, and after reading the hardware register
descriptions several times I still have not deciphered them.

If anyone out there has working 86xx console-poking code, I would
appreciate a copy, if possible....

Chris