[comp.sys.dec] bootable rx02 or boot rom

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (08/19/88)

I've got a set of rx02's and an M9312 boot card (unibus).
My RT11 distribution (Real DEC floppies) is on RX01's.  I would
very much appreciate either the service or sale of either
a bootable RX02 rt11 disk (version not important), or the
appropriate rom for my M9312 -- part number ...4A9, I think.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

hirshman@gidday.dec.com (Bret H, Tech Support @ Sydney,Oz STL-1/2 9657646) (08/24/88)

In comp.sys.dec:892 stpstn!aad (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

> I've got a set of rx02's and an M9312 boot card (unibus).
> My RT11 distribution (Real DEC floppies) is on RX01's.  I would
> very much appreciate either the service or sale of either
> a bootable RX02 rt11 disk (version not important), or the
> appropriate rom for my M9312 -- part number ...4A9, I think.

And again:

> Subject: clarification on rom
>
> The ROM I need is P/N 754A9, for an M9312 unibus bootstrap.
> Payment in cash or DECtapes.

This (a) is the wrong part #, and (b) won't solve your problem anyway unless
you have an RX11 (M7846) floppy controller module.  There are two different
floppy boot ROMs for the M9312, with the following characteristics:

P/N 23-753A9 (stamped 753A9 on the package):
	This ROM *only* works with the M7846 RX11 controller and RX01 drives (or
	RX02 drives with their configuration switches set for RX01 emulation).
	The RX11 is a non-DMA controller that only handles single density
	drives.

P/N 23-811A9 (stamped 811A9 on the package):
	This ROM *only* works with the M8256 RX211 controller and RX02 drives.
	The RX211 is a DMA controller that uses RX02 drives and handles single
	or DEC double density 8" floppies.  The RX211 is not software compatible
	with the RX11.
	This ROM will auto density select to read the boot blocks from either
	single or double density floppies, *BUT* if the boot block on a single
	density floppy is written for the RX11 controller the boot as a whole
	will fail.

I'm almost certain that your single density RT11 floppies will only work with
an RX11 controller.  If you have an RX211 you'll need at least the RT11 system
diskette on RX02 media.  Alternatively, if you have an RX11 controller I can
tell you how to configure your RX02 drives as RX01's.

--
                                Bret A. Hirshman, Esq.

 "The makers may make     |  DEC EasyNet: GIDDAY::HIRSHMAN
 and the users may use,   |  USENET: hirshman@gidday.DEC.COM
 but the fixers must fix  |    or ..!{decwrl,decuac}!gidday.dec.com!hirshman
 with but minimal clues"  |  DARPA INTERNET: hirshman@gidday.DEC.COM
                          |    or hirshman%gidday.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
                 Anon.    |  Snail: Digital Equipment Corp. P/L, 39A Herbert St,
                          |         St. Leonards, NSW 2065, AUSTRALIA

DISCLAIMER: The above opinions are mine (and probably mine alone, *sigh!*).