[comp.sys.dec] external rd53 in uVax 2000

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/20/88)

I've got an external RD53 here (ie., a box with a power supply and
an overprice disk in it), and I'd like to hang it off a hitherto
diskless Microvax 2000.  Do I have to buy one of the "adapter boxes"
from DEC to give me the connector, or can I sneak the cable off
the internal controller out of the box, or should I just rip
the drive out of the external box and jam it into the uv2000?

Any comments appreciated.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

jeffrey@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Glenda L. Jeffrey) (09/21/88)

In article <2123@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>I've got an external RD53 here (ie., a box with a power supply and
>an overprice disk in it), and I'd like to hang it off a hitherto
>diskless Microvax 2000.  Do I have to buy one of the "adapter boxes"
>from DEC to give me the connector, or can I sneak the cable off
>the internal controller out of the box, or should I just rip
>the drive out of the external box and jam it into the uv2000?

Based on our experience, you should rip it out & jam it in.
We originally had VAXstation II/RC, which is a uVAX II with an
RD53 and thermoplastic glue in part of the backplane to fill
up slots (one of DEC's brilliant marketing schemes). In any case,
we expanded the RC by buying another backplane for it and a Fujitsu
SuperEagle, etc. We left the RD53 in as system disk (don't laugh).

Some time later, we got a diskless VAXstation 2000 and another
Eagle. We stuck the Eagle in the RC and pulled the RD53 out &
stuffed it into the VAXstation 2000. It has worked like a charm
ever since. As you may know, the 2000 already has its own ST506
controller on the motherboard, so all the necessary hardward/connectors
are there. I was really surprised not to run into any DEC gotcha's on
this one... It just slipped right in. Don't know what you should
do with the Leprechaun box... use it as a pencil holder?

As far as I know, the only time you need an adaptor box is if
you already have a disk in the 2000 and wish to add another one
(or a TK50).

Happy jamming...

- Glenda gdwtch
  jeffrey@amelia.nas.nasa.gov

kvc@nrcvax.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (09/24/88)

In article <2123@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>I've got an external RD53 here (ie., a box with a power supply and
>an overprice disk in it), and I'd like to hang it off a hitherto
>diskless Microvax 2000.  Do I have to buy one of the "adapter boxes"
>from DEC to give me the connector, or can I sneak the cable off
>the internal controller out of the box, or should I just rip
>the drive out of the external box and jam it into the uv2000?

How timely!  I spent most of yesterday afternoon ripping our new VAXstation
2000 apart to put the expansion adapter onto it.  We've got an RD54
in the system unit and need the expansion to plug in the external TK50.

In any case, by far your best bet it to take the RD out of its own box
and jam it into the system unit.  The 2000 system box is a real miracle
of packaging.  It's easy to take apart once you figure out how things
work.  The top, left and right sides, and front panel all form a single
cover which (after removing the four screws on the bottom (not the feet!))
slides forward off of the unit.  At the top you'll find the single-boad
computer, laying face-down with a piece of heavy stock paper covering the
now exposed, soldered side of the PC board.  Leave the paper on there.
The PC board is in a metal frame, mounted to the rest of the chassis with
some fairly obvious screws.  You can undo those and lift the frame up,
disconnect the power cable and that other cable, whatever it is, and
remove the whole frame.  You're now left with your system unit containing
just the power supply and the rail for the disk.

Slide the RD53 onto the rail (it's probably mounted the same way in the
expansion box anyway).  I don't know if the diskless machines come with
the ribbon cable that goes from the SBC to the drives, but if not you
hopefully have one in the expansion box to use.  The SBC (single board
computer) should have three ribbon cables connectors over in the corner
above the disk drives.  One of the long slots is for your disk cable, the
other long slot is for the TK50 port in the expansion box and the short
slot also goes to the expansion box.  I think the TK50 slot is black and
the disk slot is blue, but don't quote me on that.

There should be an unused power connector for the drive as well.  The
funny ribbon cable that was inside our system unit had one unused
connector about halfway down the cable.  I assume that's used when you've
got two 1/2-height drives in the system unit.  If your cable has such
a connector, just leave it disconnected.

        /Kevin Carosso                     kvc@nrc.com
         Network Research Co.              kvc@ymir.bitnet
                                           kvc@nrcvax.uucp