[comp.sys.dec] Transfer rsx11m disks to PC

luke@bambam.UUCP (Jay T. Brown) (09/09/88)

I have some 8 inch disks that were created on a  PDP11/70
running rsx11m, and need to transfer them to a PC.  The
problem is I do not have access to the DEC anymore.
Supposedly the information is in a generic text format,
but I can't read the disk format with my current hardware.
If anyone can do this transfer, or provide information on
how I can perform it myself, please contact me directly
at:

Jay Brown
2434 Main Street # 201
Santa Monica, Calif. 90405
(213) 399-7733
uunet!bambam!luke

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (09/13/88)

In article <22@bambam.UUCP> luke@bambam.UUCP (Jay T. Brown) writes:

>I have some 8 inch disks that were created on a  PDP11/70
>running rsx11m, and need to transfer them to a PC.  The
>problem is I do not have access to the DEC anymore.
>Supposedly the information is in a generic text format,
>but I can't read the disk format with my current hardware.
>If anyone can do this transfer, or provide information on
>how I can perform it myself,

Sorry, but the RSX11M file system, called Files-11 or ODS-1, is not a
generic text format. Your data may be stored that way but it will very
difficult to extract it without a thorough knowledge of the Files-11
on-disk structure. Files-11 builds non-contiguous files and you have to
use the file directory to locate all the needed pointers and sizes. If you
don't have your DEC machine or the manuals, you would be best advised to
contact an RSX expert. I used to be one, but I also have moved to a non-DEC
world (SUNs and standalone 68020's) or I try to help. Try posting your
request to the comp.sys.dec newsgroup.

jrl@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (John R. Latala) (10/12/88)

In article <10798@udenva.cair.du.edu> rneitzel@udenva.UUCP (RICHARD NEITZEL ) writes:
>In article <22@bambam.UUCP> luke@bambam.UUCP (Jay T. Brown) writes:
>>
>>I have some 8 inch disks that were created on a  PDP11/70
>>running rsx11m, and need to transfer them to a PC.  The
>> ... text deleted ...
>
>Sorry, but the RSX11M file system, called Files-11 or ODS-1, is not a
>generic text format. Your data may be stored that way but it will very
> ... text deleted ...

If you have access to a VAX780 or a VAX785 (running VMS) you should be able to
read it. Both of these machines are booted by a LSI-11 that has an eight inch
floppy disk on it.

You will need physical access to the machine as the floppy is only reachable
once the front doors are open.

The LSI-11 runs RT-11, but if you 'mount' the floppy you have access to it
from VMS. Mounting the floppy requires that a CONNECT CONSOLE is done some
where in the system startup or by someone with the right privs.

Once this has been done then the floppy is available as CSA1:

You can then run the EXCHANGE program to dir directories, copy files to and
from the floppy, etc.
--
john R. Latala; NCR Canada, Ltd.; Waterloo, Ontario; Canada N2J 4G5

john.Latala@Waterloo.NCR.COM