[comp.sys.dec] Auto-booting a VS2000 without the keyboard.

jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) (11/03/88)

I would like to be able to auto-boot a VS2000 with keyboard
and screen disconnected.

However, the bootrom complains that the keyboard is missing (actually,
it says something like ' 6 ?? 0012.3456 7890ABCD', which the manual
translates to 'keyboard missing':-).

So, my question: does anyone by any chance know a method to boot a vs2000
without manual intervention, even without the keyboard?
--
Fight war, not wars			| Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl
Destroy power, not people! -- Crass	| (or mcvax!jack)

milbery@rtech.rtech.com (Jim Milbery) (11/04/88)

In article <7696@boring.cwi.nl> Jack Jansen writes:
>I would like to be able to auto-boot a VS2000 with keyboard
>and screen disconnected....

< stuff deleted >

You need to set something special in the start up to get it to autoboot,
Not sure what parameter that is but Dec support will know.

Once you've got that set, then you need to tell the VS that there is a
'real' terminal out there.  You need DEC part # BCC08-10 which plugs into
the printer port on the system box.  You don't actually have to have a
terminal on the other end.  The box senses the pins and assumes a live
terminal.  We do it here (hooking up a pc to the printer port and booting)

good hunting (BCC08-10 is about $30 from decdirect)

jim milbery @ Rt