[comp.sys.dec] UNIX-style shell

m2@insyte.UUCP (Mike Arena) (11/08/88)

I am looking for a simple (:-) UNIX-style shell interpreter (preferably the
C-Shell) for VMS.  I looked in the DECUS catalog under LBLtools (VAX-14) and
it looks like it is what I need.  However, there are two problems:
	1) Is this a Bourne Shell, C-Shell, or a subset of either/both?
	2) The source code for LBLtools is in FORTRAN and we only have VAX C.

Also in the DECUS catalog is something called VSH (VAX-123).  It says it is
an command interpreter which "incorporates all the features of DCL and a
history mechanism".  However, it does not say exactly what shell language
it interprets.  I am assuming it is just making DCL friendlier.
If you have any knowledge of this product it would be much appreciated.

						Thanks,

Michael J. Arena
Innovative Systems Techniques (INSYTE)
1 Gateway Center, Newton, MA  (617) 965-8450
UUCP: ...harvard!linus!axiom!insyte!m2
--
Michael J. Arena
Innovative Systems Techniques (INSYTE)
1 Gateway Center, Newton, MA  (617) 965-8450
UUCP: ...harvard!axiom!insyte!m2

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.il (Ben Pashkoff) (11/13/88)

In article <150@insyte.UUCP>, m2@insyte.BITNET writes:
> I am looking for a simple (:-) UNIX-style shell interpreter (preferably the
> C-Shell) for VMS.
VSH does not seem to do much more than supply a slow piping mechanism.
There is also a DEC product DECshell that is a Bourne shell, and does include
piping.
It is VERY slow, but not bad.

|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL               |
|                                   BEN@TECHMAX.BITNET                    |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                   |
|      VAX/VMS Systems              APLBENJ@TECHNION.BITNET               |
|      Computer Center              VMSA::BEN                             |
|      Technion IIT                                                       |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000          Phone:(972)-4-292176                  |
|_________________________________________________________________________|

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (11/14/88)

<149@vmsa.technion.ac.il>, by ben@vmsa.technion.ac.il (Ben Pashkoff):
> There is also a DEC product DECshell that is a Bourne shell, and does include
> piping.
> It is VERY slow, but not bad.

DECshell is not cheap.  Also, it only implements a Unix V7-ish Bourne shell
(e.g., no "more", no "egrep").  Unless you absolutely have to run on VMS,
I suspect it would be cheaper to buy an AT-clone and run SysV.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|ames|hplabs}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa