[comp.sys.dec] LSI-11 bus devices

dieter (The Demented Teddy Bear) (11/20/88)

Hi.  I'm the proud (?) owner of a handful of PDP-11/03s.  After various
experimentation and the acquisition of more obsolete hardware, I've come
up with some questions:

	Is there an LSI-11 controller that understands the Pertec
tape interface?  What's it's designation and how much should I expect
to pay?

	Is there an LSI-11 controller that understands ST-506/SCSI/
ESDI/SMD/<favorite acronym>?  Same questions as above.

	Generalized:  I've been led to believe that the LSI-11 bus is
a fore-runner of Q-BUS (or was that UNIBUS?).  Other than memory, which
obviously won't work, do I have a prayer of taking cards designed for
the other bus spec and having them work?

Eventually I'll probably pick up a used PDP-11/34 (or bigger, as long
as it has memory management), but for now I'll play with what I've
got.

Yes, I realize I'm basically discussing turbo-charging a skate-board,
but it's *my* skate-board, and I want it to be the most tricked-out
skate-board on the street.  Of course, if you can answer the above,
I've got even sillier questions involving Apple ][s, PDP-8s, PDP-11s,
and SLIP, but you probably won't be interested....

Thanks for any helpful information.

Dieter (anybody need some core memory out of a DEC-20?) Muller
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
dieter%nmt@relay.cs.net

cetron@wasatch.UUCP (Edward J Cetron) (11/22/88)

In article <1488@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dieter@titan.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:

>	Is there an LSI-11 controller that understands the Pertec
>tape interface?  What's it's designation and how much should I expect
>to pay?
	yep, lots of them... for used, and 18-bit, about 600.

/SCSI/
>ESDI/SMD/<favorite acronym>?  Same questions as above.

		likely the same answer as above....

>	Generalized:  I've been led to believe that the LSI-11 bus is
>a fore-runner of Q-BUS (or was that UNIBUS?).  Other than memory, which

	The lsi-11 bus IS the q-bus (or at least the 16-18bit version of
it... the current Q-bus is 22-bit using some lines which were originally
called [reserved for 22 bits] but where used for diagnostics on several
boards.  I have the most current list of which boards are 22-bit capable
and which are only 18-bit capable.

>Yes, I realize I'm basically discussing turbo-charging a skate-board,
>but it's *my* skate-board, and I want it to be the most tricked-out
>skate-board on the street.  Of course, if you can answer the above,

	Ah, but what a skateboard
>I've got even sillier questions involving Apple ][s, PDP-8s, PDP-11s,

	My memory of 8's is way too faint, but I do remember the ][+ and
the original ][ and I still use LOTS of 11's

-ed
cetron@wasatch.utah.edu